***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

I've tried to find information about the Alden #8 perforated cap toe blucher (without medallion tip). It is allegedly style # 2132. Can someone tell me if it is on the Aberdeen last? Thank you for whatever help[ you can provide!

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I fully realize the sun can cause discoloration/fading, and, if your shoes have evidence that is the case, then it appears the case is closed.

However, some time ago I purchased a new pair of color 8 LWBs (first quality) and the left and right shoes were so different in color (they took to the dye differently), I sent them back. How they got past QC is a different issue altogether ...

In any event, good luck.

3. Ritchee

Ritchee Senior member

My ranger moc collection. Sometimes they're called moc toe.

[​IMG]

Ranger Moc in loden green, van last, water lock sole

Ranger Moc in reverse chamois, van last, water lock sole

Ranger Moc in snuff suede, barrie last, plantation crepe sole

4. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

5. Burton

Burton Senior member

Thanks, Seven. Understood. When I received the shoes there was a film of dirt and dust on the one --leads me to believe they were in a shop window (road/sidewalk dust) instead of a shop floor. Also, the sole of the right shoe is darker than the left (without wear) leading me to believe it has oxidized. Anyway, I bought a pair of color 8 tassel loafers in June of '93 and they had much more of brown hue to them as opposed to today's Corlor 8s which have the eggplant hue to them. Back then, Alden recomended that you use Kiwi dark tan shoe polish on shell corodvan shoes. After a while they all had a brown hue to them. Would be cool to have that with these.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012

6. rkusmant

rkusmant Senior member

Travelling with 20+ pairs of shoes, declared overweight, per SF rule ditch AE first, i did that and weights goes down to normal limit. No Alden left behind

7. Burton

Burton Senior member

Repp you could be right - but see my post above. Either way, I think it is from natural or artifical light.

8. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Holy cow! How long will you be gone?

9. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I'm curious how many pair of shoes everyone travels with for different length trips. My trips are usually only 2-3 days and I try to only have the dress shoes on my feet and a pair of Vibrams for working out.

10. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Artificial light can definitely fade shell, albeit at a slower pace.

11. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

i travel ~75,000 miles per year. i live in NYC but am in L.A. at least one week a month. I usually bring Nike Running Shoes, the shoes on my feet (usually a LHS when travelling) and either a boot or a wingtip brogue shoe depending on what my schedule is going to be like/meetings i'm having. usually suffices. i've never packed more than 2 pair. i almost always bring some beater C&J pembroke's... they're seriously invincible. i've gone hiking in them. not joking.

12. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

double post.

13. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I don't want to hijack your question, but I have a similar situation with some RL Marlow wingtips I'm undecided on. Basically, there are pieces that are noticeably lighter than others, and I was wondering, if I use something like the dark brown Saphir Cordovan Shoe Cream, will this discrepancy improve over time? Or, is this a bad idea/assumption (should I assume the discrepancy will be that way forever when evaluating them)? I'd prefer them to be a dark brown over a medium brown, in case it influences anyone's answer.

14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Depends on the length of the trip. Usually, I wear a pair of loafers while traveling. I pack my Vibrams for working out, one or two pair of dress shoes, and a dress/casual boot.

15. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I usually avoid packing many shoes because I'm an 11E (and let's face it, Aldens are heavy).

I agree 100% on loafers in airports though. Funny that something as insiginficant as slip-on shoes can make the traveling experience so much less stressful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.