***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burton

Burton Senior member

Good question, Namor. Eleganza, these are shell and would be curious if just polishing them with color 8 polish would work as well. I have sent a note to Alden to see what they think about recrafting the color. I know Alden treat their Shell at the factory and would think that likely the most secure route--but the sun bleaching is enticing.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  2. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

Would Neat's Foot Oil darken the lighter one?

3. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Leave the darker shoe near a window that has a decent amount of sunlight & that shoe will fade over time. You can always have an Alden restoration done to them if you don't like the results.

4. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LS #8 NST Saddle on the Leydon, my favorite Alden last.

5. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Are you sure the faded one is from the sun? (not sure what else it could be, though) I would think there would be some kind of tan line under the tassel or lace.

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

It seems to me this could quite easily be the result of two shoes taking to dye quite differently.

No matter what it is, if an Alden restoration will remedy it, I personally would go that route and be done with it.

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I have little love for the Leydon last, but that is a nice shoe. :nodding:

8. REguy

REguy Senior member

^ I regret not buying that pair. Hopefully LS will run it again.

9. Burton

Burton Senior member

Yes. I am completely sure it is from the sun. There are "tan lines" under where the tassels have rested on the shoes. I don't know if you can see them in this picture they haven't photographed well.

[​IMG]

10. Burton

Burton Senior member

I could see that too, however, the arch (which didn't see sun) and the spots under the tassel as well speak to the shoe being exposed to the sun. Years ago, I almost purchased a pair of heavily discounted NSTs and then, as the mate was being pulled from the store window, I noticed they were no longer the same color. In that case, the shoe had been on display for years and the one left in the sun was now brown.

I tend to agreei with your conclusion about restoration from Alden. The discoloration is minimal and I believe it can be remedied by a recraft.

Here is a great piece on how the sun affects SC.

http://leffot.com/2011/08/31/the-brownout-by-nick-horween/

11. Coopa

Coopa Senior member

My j.crew #8 captoe boots are scheduled to come tomorrow, and i'm seeking advise on how to "set the crease" in a vamp area. I really, really dislike excessive rippling and remember reading somewhere about using a pencil to help "guide" the formation of the initial creases so they are somewhat symmetrical. Here's a description of the method i nabbed from another forum:

Quote: from
    So, has anyone used this with success? Any tips or other suggestions? TIA

Edit: Here's a link with more details from Tom at LS: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...Alden-Chukka-ideal-crease-Japanese-Pen-Method

12. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

honestly i didn't have any creasing issues on my J. Crew captoes... if anything, I feel like the cap depth is perfect to wear you won't experience weird creasing. i am getting my ravello LWB for Alden SF tomorrow... seems like this week is going to be acquisition heavy for this thread.

13. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I picked up a pair of BB color 8 LHS that had this (they were the display model and I got them for a song). I've been leaving the less-affected one in front of a window and they are evening out, though the process is slow. I've also done a little more conditioning and even added some colored corodvan cream to the lighter shoe. They're not perfect, but I like the effect and the faded color...they've become a nice shade of brown that's not available from Alden as new.

14. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Agreed. The JCrew cap toe has its creases in an unlined part, which means they are very soft. I wouldn't worry about this model creasing like I would a lined chukka, for example.

15. Coopa

Coopa Senior member

Cool, thanks. I sold a pair of cigar chukkas in fear that the creases were going to become too extreme, so i'm glad to hear the captoes aren't as prone to this issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.