1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aldenwear

aldenwear Senior member

Obviously, you can choose to do what you want, choose to wait, consult, etc. But note that the boots on the previous page that alcibiades got today are color 8 boots with antique edging. So you can now see exactly what the color 8/antiqued edge looks like. You can also see it now with color 8 longwings on the leffot website. The antiquing makes the shoes a little more casual than the same shoe with the dark edging. Good luck.

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Antique edging makes color 8 models a bit more casual. I actually need a color 8 model with dark edging (likely the saddles) for suits and such. I think the antique edging works best with boots. It is awesome with longwings as well, but so is the dark edging.

3. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

exactly what I was after (thanks again for posting about the leffot 8s, although my wallet is not happy right now [​IMG] )

my jcrew LWB were supposed to have light welt over crepe, but showed up with dark edging (was hoping to have B.Nelson change the sole at some point)

jcrew captoe give me a dark edging should I need it, but I imagine these leffot 8s will get the majority of use. perfect boot imo

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Sure.

Comes down to personal preference, overall wardrobe and style of dress, and intended uses.

To me, the antique edging makes the shoe considerably more casual. For some that is good; for others, not so much. I am in the latter camp.

My transition from antique edging back to black was easy because I had BNelson leave my welt dark and not change it out for a light welt. I did it myself with black edge dressing.

Good luck.

5. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I think both work well for a boot. My two favorite #8 boots are probably the wingtip with antique edge that LS and Epaulet and others have done and the straight captoe on either Grant or Plaza with dark edge trim and commando sole. Two different looks but equally great to me.

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

These are Polo Ralph Lauren bought last year (don't have many more details beyond that, for them in some sort of sale)

7. unipair guy

unipair guy Senior member

The top one is a tan suede ranger moc on van last. Great summer shoe all around.

8. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

pm'd you

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Gents: Unipair Guy has been on the Alden thread lately. I worked with him a few months ago to acquire a pair of EG Dovers. The experience was exceptionally pleasant. Unipair has some Alden models no one else has (ex. Whiskey captoe blucher).

10. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

sftg,
    Thanks for the info. I'll have to pick up the travel size.

11. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

My LS preorder came in today. Alden Safari makeup, snuff suede, Plaza last.

These boots are so comfortable and Plaza sleekness is amazing. I'm extremely happy.

[​IMG]

12. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

That does look like a fantastic makeup. Congrats on that.

13. yesssir

yesssir Senior member

Does anyone know if the J Crew Ludlow shop still has the Ravello longwings still in stock or plan to restock them if they sold out? Thanks.

14. unipair guy

unipair guy Senior member

That is a pleasure to hear from one of our first international customers. We are still new to Styleforum but it is our goal to provide a variety of brands and models and make sure every customer has a pleasant experience purchasing from us. I will check and see what we have left in whiskey and post it up.

Unipair Guy

15. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I highly recommend only getting the travel size edge dressings from AE. It's much easier to apply.

16. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Unfortunately that was two years ago in Philadelphia and I'm not sure you'll ever find that again. The next time BB has its corporate sale with 30% off, you might be able to get their PTBs for about 550-600 with tax and shipping.

17. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

they'll have a pair of 11d's headed back to them (as soon as I receive the shipping label). I'm an 11.5, they had a pair being sent to me but they were lost in shipping. they sent me the 11's to try but they're too small.

18. yesssir

yesssir Senior member

Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I need a 10. I will give them a call tomorrow and see what they have in stock. I love that makeup with the gold eyelets.

19. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

20. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

I haven't gone through with it, but I swear I read on here in the past that B.Nelson can change the welt.

i'm probably wrong tho [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.