Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

ups is the worst mail service of the big 3. hands down.

2. unclesam099

unclesam099 Senior member

No, I didn't try a suede cleaner. The wax seems to be set into the suede, so I'm not sure how much a cleaner would help. I'm considering sending them to B. Nelson.

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I think what Mac is referring to is within the context of trying new shoes to determine if they fit well. Although some distributors will not accept returns on shell shoes with creases, keeping the soles like-new will definitely get a higher asking resale price on auctions, B&S, etc.

4. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I'm in a similar situation - from to the house to the garage to the car, from my spot in the parking garage 10 feet to the elevator, and from then on it's all carpeted. The only real wear is if I have a long walk to a restaurant from the parking lot or something. But, Mac also has a very large rotation, while I end up repeating shoes 2-3 times per month.

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Bucksfan, good to see you on this other Americana thread! I am so totally on the other range of the spectrum. Living in NYC and one who would rather walk 10 blocks then hop on a subway for 1 stop, I think I must range anywhere from 4 to 5 miles during a workday and more on weekends (which is a reason why I wear my double leather soled Aldens then). I don't know if it's just me but I do find some satisfaction getting wear out of my shoes.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012

6. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

^ good to be seen, thanks. I am beginning to increase my Alden collection, so I figured I'd start adding to the conversation over here :)

How long does a double sole last you, out of curiosity? I have them on my Alden for j. Crew captoes and Chukkas.

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I rotate shoes a fair amount so they last quite a while, at least a little over a couple of years? I don't however, wait until I get to the cork, I get resoled when it gets to past the first leather layer and starts to show the middle leather layer. Most of my walking is also on concrete so the wear is pretty rough.

If you transition out, all the guys in the AE threat will lose their 'insider' :marchal: Definitely prefer Alden to AE for more casual footwear!

8. rikod

rikod Senior member

Thanks everyone, maybe the photos are a little dark, here is a comparison with my Ravello PTB

[​IMG]

9. jkater1

jkater1 Senior member

Anyone thinking of having the Tamara that is posting on Leathef Souls website as a courier for the Cigar Jumpers?

10. Don L

Don L Senior member

Have you tried a suede brush on those suede's with the wax?

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I love whiskey

12. Burton

Burton Senior member

Gentlemen,

Last night I got a great deal on a pair of color 8 shell tassel loafers. I already have a pair of color 8 tassels -- the BB model. I am on the fence about keeping them only because they will be a dupilicate. I have thought about possibly trading them. Of course they are on the Aberdeen last and they are size 9D. If anyone is interested in the trade PM me. I may just keep them under the theory you can't ever have too many pairs of tassel loafers. Not sure what I would trade them for, but I am generally a 9 or 9.5 in Alden shoes.

13. Burton

Burton Senior member

I would first try warm water and dish soap. Not the kind you put in the diswasher but the kind you use in the sink--that and a scrub brush.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

14. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I am still hoping he can clarify further. The whole break-in technique and the logic behind it is not a mystery to me. As I said, I follow the same techniques. The fact remains that the toes of leather soled shoes, almost without fail, show the upward curvature wear pattern (to different degrees amongst different people depending upon walking styles). The reason I posed the original question to McArthur is because he has pointed out the some of the shoes in these photos of his are decades old. They may well have been resoled recently enough (which he can easily clarify if that is the case), otherwise, it remains a mystery to me how the sole edges are essentially square (to use a carpenter's term). When I posed my original question, he simply replied that they are never worn on concrete. While possible, it would be unusual for decades old shoes to avoid concrete. People have lives, they have commutes, they run errands, they go out to eat during lunch hours, etc. I suspect Bucksfan is correct that McArthur's shoe collection is large enough to allow pairs of shoes to only be worn on rare occasions at best, which more than likely accounts for the almost new appearance.

15. IRONHORSE

IRONHORSE Well-Known Member

Here is my modified last Plain toe boot snuff suede supper comfortable

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.