Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

Cobbler polished my nubuck boots from a while back without my permission when I gave them to him to reheel. I wasn't mad, and actually I like the change. Instead of a dark grey, it's more a jet black now. Looks like first gen W+H boots kind of.

[​IMG]

2. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

Cobbler polished my nubuck boots from a while back without my permission when I gave them to him to reheel. I wasn't mad, and actually I like the change. Instead of a dark grey, it's more a jet black now. Looks like first gen W+H boots kind of. [​IMG]
    I think those look fine, but your cobbler is an imbecile.

3. g transistor

Yeah, he is a long time family friend though. Last time he reheeled them for me he didn't polish them. I don't know what went through his mind. I'm okay with the change though, it actually fits my style a little better, and I also have the nubuck W+H, though I haven't worn them since I first got them. The Aldens are so much more comfier.

4. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Where did you get those nubuck aldens from? They look great (and I love the eyelets all the way up.)

The only reason I can think a cobbler would take in upon himself to give a really drastic polish job is if he's grown accustomed to working his 'magic' and enjoying people's oooh's and ahhhh's when they see the remarkable transformation. I'd either fire him or, in this case, thank him as the family friend and quietly not let him handle my nicer shoes again.

5. g transistor

I got them off B&S early last autumn.

In his defense, he is a really nice guy and I handed the shoes to him in really dirty condition. If any of you have been to GA in the spring/summer, you'll know the fine layer of yellow that covers everything. Picture that on my boots along with a lot of mud from camping and whatnot. He cleaned and polished them for free, and even added a heel tap to further slow down the wear of the heel due to my extreme overpronation for free too. I think he was just being nice about it. I honestly don't mind it, though obviously I'd be more careful with instructions in the future. This could easily have turned into disaster.

6. gary3594

gary3594 Active Member

Here are my new Alden cordovans in Whiskey from the Shoe Mart. I like them alot, even with khakis.

[​IMG]

7. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

A little box from UPS came this morning!
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Ravello PTB's from Alden Madison Ave.

8. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

yeah, Whiskey is a nice color and I think it's fine with khakis. I think better than #8 w/ khakis. cigar I think looks best w/ khakis.

Ravello is still my favorite, perfect combo of eye catching + versatile

9. deltashell

deltashell Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Nice! The coloring on those looks very similar to my chukkas, with the dark welt.

10. deltashell

deltashell Senior member

Could anyone comment on the fit of the trubalance indy vs barrie chukkas, both in shell? I am aware that most people take the same size in these two lasts, but I am wondering how the fit is affected by the lower lacing of the indy, as well as the higher top. Does this help to give the indy wearer a better fit, since the chukka only has two eyelits? Also, do most shell indy wearers use thicker socks since this is a boot? Any info would be appreciated.

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

Here are my new Alden cordovans in Whiskey from the Shoe Mart. I like them alot, even with khakis.

[​IMG]

+1 for whiskey and argyles. enjoy wearing

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG]

very sharp. enjoy wearing

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

Could anyone comment on the fit of the trubalance indy vs barrie chukkas, both in shell? I am aware that most people take the same size in these two lasts, but I am wondering how the fit is affected by the lower lacing of the indy, as well as the higher top. Does this help to give the indy wearer a better fit, since the chukka only has two eyelits? Also, do most shell indy wearers use thicker socks since this is a boot? Any info would be appreciated.

from my experience, i have found the six eyelet chukkas provide a much better fit than the two eyelets chukkas. the indy boots with nine eyelets is also for me a much better fir the the two eyelet chukkas. i wear wool argyles with both the indy boot and the chukkas. I do wear the same size on both the chukkas and the indy boots

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    cigar utip

15. obiter dictum

obiter dictum Senior member

Picked up a pair of black (uh-oh!) cordo chukkas from the post office yesterday and they're great. Incredibly comfortable even on the first wear.

In all fairness, I see where the people complaining about the chunkyness of the barrie last are coming from -- it's definitely not the most shapely last. Then again, me needing an 11.5E isn't helping the matter either.

I don't really mind it though, for once my stumpy toes aren't hitting the sides of the toe box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.