***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

The Barrie and the Truebalance are both pretty big all around. Without measuring, my impression is that the Barrie is a bit smaller.

2. 0ShinAkuma0

0ShinAkuma0 Active Member

2nd cousins and other family members, I got a question. I mostly have AE shoes and have no idea how Alden shoes fit in general. I'm fairly close to buying the Alden Shell cap toe boot, color #8. Does anyone have any personal experience to whether it runs long or short, wide or narrow. Is it true to size?
    I'm usually in a weird position, I normally wear 13 D, but my AE's in 13 are slightly too big (but still comfortable and not too much of a problem, I just double sock) and the 12's are, of course, slightly too small. As expected, many shoe models don't have a 12.5.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

3. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Cous' you will like Alden. Which shell cap toe are you considering? Can you provide a link? Or do you know which last it is on?

4. 0ShinAkuma0

0ShinAkuma0 Active Member

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

The Alden website lists the "standard" shoes. These are the models that Alden routinely stocks. The other models you see on The Shoe Mart and elsehwere are make ups that are requested by the vendor. Hence, the selection will vary from vendor to vendor.

I have not tried any Grant last shoes; so I don't think I can be of any more assistance.

Try looking at the Alden FAQ here:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/85589/the-official-alden-thread/25050#post_5279256

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

6. joiji

joiji Senior member

7. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

it's next season's alden x margiela collab.

8. Briar Snob

Briar Snob Senior member

+1

9. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Senior member

10. Chaos_Cow

Chaos_Cow Well-Known Member

Everyone who tries modified last seems to love it, but moulded shoe is the only store the USA that seems to sell it (and their selection of shell is without question the most limited out of any Alden store I've been to).

The reason apparently is that Alden sells their shoes for way more to international stores (like you pay 1k+ for Alden shell abroad) and the way they don't make them totally screwed is by making modified international-only. Moulded shoe has been around for so long that they always have sold modified and it didn't seem fair to their customer base to take it away.

Note also that their website doesn't really reflect their stock selection and they're out stock in a lot of styles (like the color 8 captoe).

11. Burton

Burton Senior member

Ok I have a lot of experience with both brands of shoes. First, AE run about as true to size as any shoe on the planet. If you are a 12.5 in AE you will be a 12 in the Barrie. You can guess at the other lasts but trying them on is the best way. People here will try and cross the shoes, but Alden lasts change in both length, width and shape and it is critical you try them on. Also, unlike AE shoes, I have two shoes on the same lasts in different sizes which fit exactly the same.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

12. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Cigar wingtip boots on Plaza (LS) [​IMG]

13. Don L

Don L Senior member

Cigar LHS

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Looking good, gentlemen.