1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

I thought I saw a pre-order (and ETA) for some plaza wingtip non-speed-lace boots in #8 (and another boot) about 3 weeks ago through LSH (i.e. LSW/LSBH). I can't find any trace of this now.

I have a feeling I missed the pre-order, but I will 100% buy a 9D if I can find them.

Anyone have this same dream?

2. velomane

velomane Senior member

I thought I saw a pre-order (and ETA) for some plaza wingtip non-speed-lace boots in #8 (and another boot) about 3 weeks ago through LSH (i.e. LSW/LSBH). I can't find any trace of this now.

I have a feeling I missed the pre-order, but I will 100% buy a 9D if I can find them.

Anyone have this same dream?

I'd email Tom if I were you. 9D would be a standard part of the order, hence he could set aside a pair for you.

3. stylenoob718

stylenoob718 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

thoughts? thinking about getting them. these are the ones made for jcrew.

4. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

I like them a lot but I am moving away from speed hooks as a general preference.

If I bought those and bought them from jcrew I would wait for a sale.

5. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Anyone have these wingtip boots in scotch grain from Shoemart? http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._calfskin.html Not sure what my next purchase will be and whether I want to shell out (pardon the pun) $600+ for cordovan boots. However the Leather Soul #8 PTB boots with crepe soles are looking mighty nice...

6. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

7. stylenoob718

stylenoob718 Well-Known Member

I like them a lot but I am moving away from speed hooks as a general preference. If I bought those and bought them from jcrew I would wait for a sale.
    sorry bit of a noob, what are speed hooks? do you think they'll go on sale? not in a rush to get them (I have some DBs that are ok) so ya I'd love to get them at least for a little cheaper. I'm just not familiar with jcrew's policy on 3rd party brand items and sales. edit:: I see the speed hooks now, they were hard to see before and because of that I didn't know what you meant haha

8. Nosu3

Nosu3 Senior member

speed hooks are the 8 metal pieces the lace wraps around at the top as opposed to regular eyelets toward the bottom. They are there for convenience for lacing but sometimes don't look as good compared to all eyelets instead.

9. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Anyone know if it's possible to identify the age of Aldens using the numbers printed inside the boot (5h28 0003)? I have this older pair of 405's with the duck lining and was wondering when they were produced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. joz411no

joz411no Senior member

11. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Anyone have these wingtip boots in scotch grain from Shoemart? http://www.theshoemart.com/alden-men..._calfskin.html Yes, and I quite like them.
    Thanks. Any action pics [​IMG] Trying to decide on these or getting the brown calf on barrie last (to replace the ones on Leydon last I just sold).

12. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

To owners of the kudu Indy with the lug sole, how do they handle in snow?

13. sockpuppets

sockpuppets Senior member

sorry bit of a noob, what are speed hooks?

do you think they'll go on sale? not in a rush to get them (I have some DBs that are ok) so ya I'd love to get them at least for a little cheaper. I'm just not familiar with jcrew's policy on 3rd party brand items and sales.

edit:: I see the speed hooks now, they were hard to see before and because of that I didn't know what you meant haha

Get a 20% off coupon off ebay. buy shoes.

14. joz411no

joz411no Senior member

Thanks. Any action pics [​IMG]

Trying to decide on these or getting the brown calf on barrie last (to replace the ones on Leydon last I just sold).

None yet. I'll try to post ASAP. I must warn you though, I have a wider foot and had to order my size in a special make-up through ShoeMart. 10.5EE. I'll try to have them up before the night is through. The only thing that could have made them better is Scotch Grain, color #8 shell.

15. skrooler

skrooler Active Member

Looking at the Alden Chukka on the Barrie last.

If a 11.5 D on the Hampton Last fits me perfectly, would 11 D on Barrie be perfect?

Theoretically, yes. I find the barrie to be a true D though, if you're wide in the least bit you're going to have a problem.

Just want to confirm, the 11 D Barrie fits me pretty well. Its a little more snug then the 11.5 D Hampton, but not too snug.

16. rick

rick Senior member

[​IMG]

i have them and love them a must have

17. flyguy7

flyguy7 Senior member

^I was flipping fast as hell through the august catalogue they sent out and then I just froze on those cordovan boots. Something feels wrong about dropping $5--+ on a j.crew boot though

18. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

I just cant get over that stitch running all the way back on the boots. ugly.

19. Dewey

Dewey Senior member

I just cant get over that stitch running all the way back on the boots. ugly.

some kind of stitch or decoration along the heel is a common feature on boots. probably the heel area below the stitch is re-inforced compared to the leather around the ankle, and the boots are going to crease there as they mold to your ankle. maybe you don't like the stitch. that's cool. but it is as daring a style decision as a cap toe. hardly something to call them out on. might as well complain that the boot has a heel or eyelets.

20. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

some kind of stitch or decoration along the heel is a common feature on boots. probably the heel area below the stitch is re-inforced compared to the leather around the ankle, and the boots are going to crease there as they mold to your ankle. maybe you don't like the stitch. that's cool. but it is as daring a style decision as a cap toe. hardly something to call them out on. might as well complain that the boot has a heel or eyelets.
    eh, I guess I would just really prefer a stitch around the side, like the broguing in a typical shortwing, or a vertical stitch at the back of the boot. ie [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.