***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djh

djh Senior member

Thanks for the WinPerry suggestion. My only concern is that the WinPerry's are described as "walnut brown" and the Leathersoul version is described as "cognac." The Leathersoul version also looks a little lighter in color. I was looking for something like the whiskey cordovan's but in calf and the Leathersoul's are the closest I've ever seen.

Winn Perry's is a double oiled leather sole, whereas the LS one is a single oiled leather sole. Another option is the J.Crew one, which is on a double non-oiled leather sole.

2. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

THESE ARE AMAZING SHOES, BUT I'VE BEEN TRYING LIKE CRAZY TO FIND A PAIR OF LONGWINGS LIKE LEATHER SOUL SOLD LAST YEAR

THEY WERE DESCRIBED AS FOLLOWS: "Our newest Leather Soul Exclusive is the Alden flex welt, soft cognac calf longwing. Buttery soft tumbled lady calf coupled with Alden's flex welt construction and oiled leather sole make this longwing the most comfortable American classic you'll ever own."

ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET ANYTHING LIKE THIS? (LEATHER SOUL IS OUT OF THEM).

If you're looking for the flex welt, I don't really know anything else out there.
    Otherwise if you don't mind the double sole, get the whiskey longwings (I think Shoe Mart has some).
    The J Crew ones aren't bad either if shell is too pricey..

Leather Soul
    [​IMG]
    Whiskey from Epaulet.
    [​IMG]

For color reference, l to r: whiskey, ravello, walnut calf, cigar, and C&J for Polo brown.
    The Cognac is really close to the walnut color.
    [​IMG]

3. jasonfoote303

jasonfoote303 Senior member

[​IMG]

NICE! that's a helluva collection right thurr.

4. sellran

sellran Senior member

5. scb

scb Senior member

6. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

+1, the Winn Perry shoe is supposed to be really nice. I like it. I think it is different from the Leather Soul shoe. If not I am sure Tom will redo that shoe. It gets a lot of positive mentions.

I think there will always be slight variations in colors because leather is in and of itself a flawed medium. Not all leather is the same.

Also I think the the color of stitching and soul edges as well as lighting will make shoes look different from pic to pic. Even the pics I posted tonight had the same shoes looking different because of clouds or some sh*t. The best you can do is to see them in person. Otherwise it is a crap shoot.

Thanks for the WinPerry suggestion. My only concern is that the WinPerry's are described as "walnut brown" and the Leathersoul version is described as "cognac." The Leathersoul version also looks a little lighter in color. I was looking for something like the whiskey cordovan's but in calf and the Leathersoul's are the closest I've ever seen.

Winn Perry's is a double oiled leather sole, whereas the LS one is a single oiled leather sole. Another option is the J.Crew one, which is on a double non-oiled leather sole.

If you are looking for something closer to the cognac color, I'd go with the J Crew longwing (they call it "tobacco") over the WP. I just got the WP yesterday, and they are a great shoe, very substantial, and a beautiful rich walnut brown color. In other words, if you are looking for a lighter brown, you won't like these. I have both the J Crew LW in tobacco and the WP, and there are enough differences between them that if you have a serious shoe compulsion, you can easily justify getting both... Honest... [​IMG]

Here's a rather crappy Blackberry pic of the Winn Perry's I took just now:

[​IMG]

7. iansir

iansir Well-Known Member

already made up, http://www.alden-of-carmel.com/index...ng_Tip_219.htm
    i can take more pics of my pair if you'd like [​IMG]

8. mechanical pencil

mechanical pencil Senior member

Sorry if it has been asked but does anybody know the last on the 40721C?
    [​IMG]

Turns out it's on the Hampton last. Shoemart told me Barrie.

Really nice but back they go....

9. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

If you are looking for something closer to the cognac color, I'd go with the J Crew longwing (they call it "tobacco") over the WP. I just got the WP yesterday, and they are a great shoe, very substantial, and a beautiful rich walnut brown color. In other words, if you are looking for a lighter brown, you won't like these. I have both the J Crew LW in tobacco and the WP, and there are enough differences between them that if you have a serious shoe compulsion, you can easily justify getting both... Honest... [​IMG]

Here's a rather crappy Blackberry pic of the Winn Perry's I took just now:

[​IMG]

Pretty nice. What are your thoughts of the double waterloc sole?

10. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

NICE! that's a helluva collection right thurr.

For Zippy, thats not even scratching the surface.

Turns out it's on the Hampton last. Shoemart told me Barrie.

Really nice but back they go....

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll be passing on it too.

Also, just a heads up, tan suede longwing available at WinnPerry.
    [​IMG]

11. LeatherSOUL

LeatherSOUL Senior member

Flex welt single leather sole, light color, it was just everything I wanted. And I'm one of those people that prefers calf to cordovan (which we're not supposed to admit here). Oh well, perhaps someone will make this up. I only hope that I find out about it!

OK, sounds like you really want these shoes pretty bad. If you don't mind waiting and are willing to place an order, i will reorder a batch of these shoes just for you. Just send me an email if you're interested.

12. JOA

JOA Senior member

My Roy boots are shipping tomorrow from Context...

finally!

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

If you're looking for the flex welt, I don't really know anything else out there.
    Otherwise if you don't mind the double sole, get the whiskey longwings (I think Shoe Mart has some).
    The J Crew ones aren't bad either if shell is too pricey..

Leather Soul
    [​IMG]
    Whiskey from Epaulet.
    [​IMG]

For color reference, l to r: whiskey, ravello, walnut calf, cigar, and C&J for Polo brown.
    The Cognac is really close to the walnut color.
    [​IMG]

very nice shoes

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    ravello medallion tip

15. Dexter_

Dexter_ Senior member

Zippy, seeing this pic again changed my mind about whiskey. I think its becoming my favorite. Just need to get the timing right since its sooo rare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.