***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I have not, no. However, the Saphir products seem to be reliable. Otherwise, I have only used turpentine to strip the finish on my CXL boots. It works, but you have to really work to rebuild the finish. My guess is that the Renomat is a bit milder. Otherwise, I am not aware of any other products for stripping wax or polish.

I actually have dipped into shell. I picked up a pair of black shell cap toes from Alden NY. But I returned them for a different size which is on order. I concur with Uncle Mac. Try the damp cloth and vigorous brushing. If that doesn't work, then exploe other options.

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Great looking gunboats. I could have sworn that make up had gold eyelets. Saw them in DC last summer and nearly picked up a pair. Looked too much like my ravello LWB. Enjoy and wear in good health!

3. REguy

REguy Senior member

Sweet! I've been wondering if J Crew was going to hose me, but I see they just ran my card on pairs of shoes I ordered in the past two sales.

4. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Yeah, I got a shipping email for the #8 LWBs last night.

5. dotcomzzz

dotcomzzz Senior member

Does anyone other than shoemart carry the natural cxl indy? I'm pretty sure I need a C width in a 13 and they don't have anything narrower than a D.

6. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Senior member

Those look fantastic. I think pebble grain is underrated.

7. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

^ Agree.I believe I saw those during my visit to Alden DC in June, and they are indeed very good looking LWBs. Commando sole seems to suit them as well. Enjoy wearing those.

8. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

Good looking LWB, wear them in health.

Thank you. The six eyelet chukka with a flat welt & close heel is far superior than the regular chukka for fit & style & almost sleek (for Alden).

Looking good in your LHS. O/S!

Thank you.

Thank you.

9. brostymie

brostymie Active Member

Hi,
    my only alden is a crepe sole and i am abt to receive my first pair in leather sole. My only concern is that leather sole will be slipperly especially in wet weather. Does anyone here add a rubber sole to it, or is that unneccessary?

10. Don L

Don L Senior member

New addition - Whiskey LWB
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

^ beautiful whiskeys...nice looking trousers as well

12. Eleganza

Eleganza Active Member

I did it to a pair of mine, after taking a nasty spill in Grand Central Station on their marble. So when it rains, that pair are my go to.

13. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Not necessary in my opinion. It will be slippery only at first, until the bottoms of the soles get scuffed up from walking outside. Wet wether however does soften up the leather sole and make it wear down much faster, so you might still consider getting them toppy'd for that reason if you plan on walking on wet pavement with them.

Edit: Yes, it would be slippery on wet marble, but aren't all shoes?

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012

14. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

the only time I have fallen down in the last 10+ years was wearing a pair of alden boots with leather waterlock sole. It had rained about 15 minutes before I was walking into a restarant, boot hit the curb the wrong way sliped, fell, on the ground! Totally embarrassing luckily no injury
    must of my aldens are commando now, though I do have one crepe, and one danite

15. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

smooth soles = slippery. I had a pair or RM Williams boots with a smooth rubber sole that I slipped and fell while wearing multiple times in the winter, until I decided that was crazy and sold them.

topy is probably a bit better than leather in the winter in terms of "slippery proof" but once they get worn down to the point they are smooth, they are no better or actually worse I think.

some people say dainite is slippery but it's been ok in my experience. something like commando is best b/c it's the opposite of smooth

I have

- 1 commando
    - 1 dainite
    - 5 leather

soles in my shoedrobe. when the leather wears down on my boots w/ leather, I'll resole with commando or dainite. not really bothering w/ topy anymore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.