• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not always a fan of the captoe, but I like them from that angle on that sole with all eyelets.  Barrie or Grant?  They look round rather than pointy, which is what I like.

Thanks. Grant Last. I tried on all the variations of the Cap Toe #8 before going with these ones from Shoe Mart. They are my favorite ones.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm looking for a 35mm Black Cordovan Belt - Nickel Buckle.

SF said they only have 28" and 44".

NY said they are hard to find, and that Alden stopped making them a year and a half ago.  (however, I was able to get a cigar belt from SF over the summer when the received that unexpected shipment of exotic shell belts :puzzled: .)

Haven't gotten in touch with DC yet, but the gentleman at the Madison location said that he heard from customers that Brooks Brothers has shell belts.  I saw some on their website, but they had an etched buckle.  I am not sure if they have a more conventional version at the Brooks Brothers on Madison, so thought I would post here to see if anyone knew what he was referring too?

Pics would be a plus!

Thanks in Advance.

At one point (early 2011-ish) I ordered a black shell and a burgundy shell belt from BB (the conventional version). I ended up sending them both back. After a simple try-on, the belts had the look of being stretched, and quite used. In short, I was not satisfied with the quality or the perceived durability. But I would imagine some here have had better experiences with shell belts from BB. As your post implies, it is worth pointing out that Alden does not make shell belts for BB.

Also, I am not a huge fan of the multi piece method that is necessarily used for shell belts; I personally don't care for how it looks in comparison to a one piece calf belt.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At one point (early 2011-ish) I ordered a black shell and a burgundy shell belt from BB (the conventional version). I ended up sending them both back. After a simple try-on, the belts had the look of being stretched, and quite used. In short, I was not satisfied with the quality or the perceived durability. But I would imagine some here have had better experiences with shell belts from BB. As your post implies, it is worth pointing out that Alden does not make shell belts for BB.
Also, I am not a huge fan of the multi piece method that is necessarily used for shell belts; I personally don't care for how it looks in comparison to a one piece calf belt.

I've got a couple of shell belts I bought from Ben Silver. Multi-piece construction. One Whiskey, one Color 8

They have held up well with regular wear for 10+ years now.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

#8 nst boot
argyles otc

Great to have you back, Uncle -

Sorry for the language uncle. :(
here's my captoes to make up for it

Also rocking the #8 captoes (Plaza) today + Epaulet RC's in Plum. Looking very brown today w/ the clouds outside.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Those look like J Crew's captoe's cousin... very nice

I can't see the pic but if it is the PCT boot I have it and it's great. Folks at Moulded Shoe are excellent too! Only minor issue I have with the shoe is the pull tab... my trousers tend to get caught on top of them.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got a couple of shell belts I bought from Ben Silver. Multi-piece construction. One Whiskey, one Color 8
They have held up well with regular wear for 10+ years now.

Whiskey belt - nice ... and very rare.

Glad your experience has been a good one.

Explorer

Reaction score
Namor: I also own two pairs of Alden Tobacco Chamois boots. I used them for my field work. Please, what do you use to clean and protect the boots? When I purchased my boots recently, I tried to buy the Allen Edmonds chamois oil cream but they do not make them anymore. Russell's Moccasins sells chamois oil for boots but I am not sure whether that will be good for the Aldens. Any suggestions or recommendations will be greatly appreciated! I bought the boots from The Shoe Mart. Thank you! Sincerely, EXPLORER

Last edited:

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the break in method requires three separate wearing

Uncle, just curious if you have shared your break in method with three wearings before? I haven't seen it since I subscribed to this thread. Interested in your process.

mavrick465

Reaction score
I apologize in advance for the darkness and quality of the pictures. These are Alden for Leffot, indys on the trubalance last with the commando sole, these are actually my first of pair of Aldens so I thought I would share. Hopefully they will be perfect for business casual and jeans during the winter and terrible weather which is sure to ensue in the next couple of months here in Iowa.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads