• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Thanks Uncle.
Here's a better picture, post-brushing tonight. The lighting is unfortunately low, but the color is much closer to their true color.

nephew,
take a picture in natural light

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I love the tassel but struggle with the Aberdden -- perhaps someday we shall see a shell tassel on another last.

nephew,
i tried to get the tassel on the van last but the factory would not do it

mr chorizo

Reaction score

Went into Unionmade thinking that I had my mind set on the Ravello Cap toe (after waiting for months) but picked these up instead...

Pebble Grain Chukka with Commando Sole
Someone out there is enjoying the 9D Ravello that I gave up. I actually find myself wearing the Alden Chukka models more than the boots.

this model isnt' on their site....i wonder how many in store exclusvies they have?

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

#8 nst saddle
argyles otc

Last edited:

mr chorizo

Reaction score

Do I really need another cordovan captoe boot :puzzled:

i'm in the same boat.

i have jcrew perf cap toe boot in #8, #4 WT boot from TSM. Ravello would complete my shell rainbow, but i don't really need a brown shell boot. hmph.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

nephew,
i tried to get the tassel on the van last but the factory would not do it

Well if they won't do it for you I don't think they would do it for anyone. The Aberdeen is a tough last for a slip on. I know you can get shell loafers on the Grant and I may give them a try.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny how everyone's feet are different, my tassel loafers (10E) in Aberdeen are my best fitting Alden shoes. I'd like Alden to produce the LSH on the Aberdeen last as I have failed so far in attempting to wear the LSH in Van.

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Went into Unionmade thinking that I had my mind set on the Ravello Cap toe (after waiting for months) but picked these up instead...

Pebble Grain Chukka with Commando Sole
Someone out there is enjoying the 9D Ravello that I gave up. I actually find myself wearing the Alden Chukka models more than the boots.

I like the pebble grain. Don't have anything in it, but feel as if I will someday. Those look like very practical chukkas, that are also very good looking. Enjoy wearing them.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the pebble grain. Don't have anything in it, but feel as if I will someday. Those look like very practical chukkas, that are also very good looking. Enjoy wearing them.

If you like pebble grain, I recommend the English captoe boots on dainite soles made by a few manufacturers (Crockett and Jones, Alfred Sargent, etc). Something you won't easily get from Alden

arrow

Reaction score
this model isnt' on their site....i wonder how many in store exclusvies they have?[/quote]

They had 3 Alden models that came in and they should all be in the website soon: Ravello Cap toe, Pebble Grain Chukka and #8 Wing tip boots on crepe sole (very nice!).

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do have these on order from Moulded Shoe:

Should they ever come in, I think that will have my pebble grain boot needs taken care of. I also have an MTO from another shoemaker in the works that will combine pebble and shell. We'll see which I get first.

Appreciate the tip on other makers' pebble grain options, though. I don't really know anything about C&J or AS, so it's good to hear they offer some nice makeups along these lines.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I do have these on order from Moulded Shoe:

Should they ever come in, I think that will have my pebble grain boot needs taken care of. I also have an MTO from another shoemaker in the works that will combine pebble and shell. We'll see which I get first.
Appreciate the tip on other makers' pebble grain options, though. I don't really know anything about C&J or AS, so it's good to hear they offer some nice makeups along these lines.

Looks very similar to the Alden for J crew pebble grain cap toes...

FrankCowperwood

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They are indeed very similar. These are on the Modified last, which is what appeals to me. I also like the closed heal on the model from Moulded. Of course, the J Crew version has the advantage of a commando sole. Apparently they don't do that for the Modified last.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads