Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I agree completely given the two scenarios you presented above. I think I am trying to advocate for the middle ground though. If average John Doe on the street looked at a pair of 20 year old shoes on my feet and said "nice new shoes!" I would feel inclined to correct him by clarifying that they are actually quite old, but well cared for. I think fine shoes can be related to the concept of a "distinguished gentleman." No one looks at a guy with salt and pepper or gray hair and thinks he is young. A guy can age well and look more distinguished with age. Same for shoes. Cheap or neglected old shoes will look old. Old high quality shoes should look distinguished through years of use and care. If you see someone you know is old and yet they have full color hair and few wrinkles, you assume they are using dye and modern medicine to "look young." If you see a pair of shoes that look like they just came out of the box, then you will likely make a couple of assumptions. Either they are new, or they haven't been worn very often. We all know that mcarthur has dozens of pairs of shoes, and from what I hear, you do too. Therefore, you have to have shoes that only get worn a few times a year. This is a mathematical fact. A pair of old shoes that gets worn a few times a year will look almost new when they are 30 years old as long as they are conditioned perodically, while a pair of shoes that gets worn twice a week will look old within a few years regardless of care. This has to be taken into consideration when looking at someone's pictures. It isn't really fair or honest to take credit for how exemplary a pair of 30 year old shoes look if they have only been worn 10 times, nor is it a reflection of their quality. Even cheap things look relatively new when they aren't used much.

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

A Classic. Very nice.

3. fitchottie

fitchottie Senior member

Well Said Sir, Well Said.

4. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

You're over thinking it.

5. Alpina

Alpina Senior member

Speaking of edge dressing, I need a friend. What are good brand/color options for color 8? Do the standard LWBs use black, or is there some sort of a dark burgundy out there? What about for the more natural edging on, say, a ravello shoe?

6. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

I've been very happy with Allen Edmonds "Chili" edge dressing on my whiskeys as well as some #8 that I changed from the stock black.

7. MoneyWellSpent

No denial here. Most people do over-think their favorite hobbies.[​IMG]

8. OfficeLinebacke

OfficeLinebacke Well-Known Member

Thanks guys, unfortunately I am returning them to the seller due to being too tight but I couldn't resist doing a self shot.

9. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Pretty disappointing news from Shoemart...they either never had or sold the pair of #4 captoes from underneath me even though I ordered them 2 mins after Beeb's ever so helpful PSA. Oh well, more money for other people's Xmas presents.

Hope someone on the thread who is 10D snagged the #4s. Enjoy!

10. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

I made a similar underhanded remark in the past in this thread that echos your sentiments; looking at pictures of shoes that resemble a stock photo gets stale. Who doesn't enjoy the visual interest and unique story behind a developed patina? Often, I get little of that from meticulously maintained shoes, particularly shell.

That said, I think it depends on the intents and purpose of given footwear. If a shoe is intended for formal or business purposes, it should unquestionably be well maintained and preserved in a presentable, near-new-appearing condition. For more casual purposes, I want to see an aged patina. The notable caveat here is the sliding scale between what's "formal" and what's "casual" varies greatly depending on the individual.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012

11. MoneyWellSpent

Agreed. For truely formal events where shoes likely recieve very little wear and tear, it shouldn't be very hard to keep them looking pristine (especially if they are shell). However, for business purposes (I assume you mean daily office/commute, etc.) the aging progression discussed in previous posts will inevitably set in with any shoe being worn regularly. For these, the "distinguished" look should gradually set in for any high quality well cared for shoe.

12. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

This.

Post pics new or well worn. I'm good with it all, just post pics.

13. Sui Generis

Sui Generis Well-Known Member

In my opinion, some shoes/boots look better worn in, others don't. Chromexcel looks better with some wear. So does #8 as it fades. But my black captoes look best in pristine condition.

Cigar Indy today:

[​IMG]

14. grendel

grendel Senior member

[​IMG]

#8 wingtip boots

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Splendid. Got mine (JGilbert) 2 weeks ago. :slayer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.