• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiny

Reaction score

#8 Captoe, Modified Last, All Eyelets
IMG_7895.jpg

Would like to see some top views of this shoe. Are all your shoes (next post) on the modified last? Did you have to size down for the mod. last? Thanks.

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
25kqx6s.jpg

#8 wt
argyles otc
2hnrm89.jpg

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#8 Captoe, Modified Last, All Eyelets

Some Alden Christmas cheer:
Nice to see some well worn Aldens! I think there needs to be more pictures in this thread of Aldens that don't look like they are on their first wearing fresh out of the box. Something more along the lines of Simon Crompton's series of posts about "How Great Things Age" on Permanent Style.
nod[1].gif

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nice to see some well worn Aldens!  I think there needs to be more pictures in this thread of Aldens that don't look like they are on their first wearing fresh out of the box. Something more along the lines of Simon Crompton's series of posts about "How Great Things Age" on Permanent Style. 
nod%5B1%5D.gif

the hole in your assumption is that if shoes are properly taken care of, they should look like they just came out of the box.
2hnrm89.jpg

these wt maybe older then you

CTYGGG

Reaction score
E3D69224-AFFF-4C3C-A660-8E38F7968BE6-230-0000006353A3BAAB.jpg

c8e6f448d5064ca9dee7220848426e50.jpg

aa0ae30bf383ae953bbd271c9a2acfce.jpg

Leffot x Alden NST (Tanker)

Eleganza

Reaction score

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the hole in your assumption is that if shoes are properly taken care of, they should look like they just came out of the box.
2hnrm89.jpg

I was waiting for someone to argue that point.
satisfied.gif
What you say is correct to a degree, and I am in no way advocating neglect of shoes. However, shoes age just like everything else and the beauty of high quality shoes is that the older they get, the more character they have. The phrase frequently found in these forums is that "they get better with age." If this is true (and I believe that it is), then the notion that they should look like they just came out of the box contradicts this. Using your logic, new shoes and aged shoes that have had impeccable care should look nearly similar. If they look better with age, then what is it that looks better about them if they look like they just came out of the box? Your shoes look fantastic, but I can't say if they are older than me unless you tell me how old they are. Without that vital piece of information your comment sounds more like a condescending pat on the head. I'm not offended here, so please don't misunderstand me. Shoe character is a subjective topic.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer old shoes that look new to old shoes that look old. Old shoes, well taken care of, will have a tendency to look new - and that is precisiely the point in taking care of them well. Just one man's opinion ....

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic, but I wanted to document the maiden voyage of my ravello PTBs. Indoor only for now to break in the sole a bit. They are a little darker in person than in the picture.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey guys, I got a question about J.Crew longwing blutchers in #8. It says they come with a crepe sole. How is that shoe? I was thinking of ordering some until I noticed it doesn't come with a leather sole. Now I'm leaning towards the waxed version. Any suggestions? I have been primarily looking at J.Crew since I have a gift card there right now I could burn.
What are your other favorites at J.Crew? I have the captoe in #8 and some Indy's. Looking for a 3rd pair.

Don't get anything with a crepe sole unless your intent is to wear it 100% of the time in casual settings.

Eleganza

Reaction score
In the shell Long Wing I wear a size 13 D, but in the tassel loafer, like the 664 model in both shell and calf, I wear a size 14 D. In the suede and cordovan loafers that I've posted, I wear a size 13 E, then have so consistently for over the past twenty years. Alden has been pretty consistent for me over the years, and I have no complaints in regard to quality, and basically these are the Alden shoes that look best on me.

However, I am completely ticked off that they don't make the joints that are shown from Alden Of Carmel, in my size range. I've called, and the dude on the other end of the line will say, nope they don't come in that size!

I am so jealous of you micro foot mofo's on here showing such hipness......congrats!

Last edited:

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a pair of Cigar LHS from the 9.5D ShoeMart irreg list

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sure you take care of your shoes as well as anybody does, but given the 50?100?200? pairs of you have, your 20+ YO wingtips might have been worn literally as many times as my 2 year old boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads