***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I use the same kind of shoe trees I use in my boots that I use in my shoes.

Go with the normal size depending on the size of the boot or shoe, no difference.

2. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Hue is associated with varying degrees on a continuum (which by default, negates a binary response). More specifically, you asked a perfectly simple closed-ended question.

3. Burton

Burton Senior member

All shell.

4. Stewbone

Stewbone Senior member

Natural or brown chromexcel for a boot? I cant decide.

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Also asked myself this for a while. Then I decided to get a pair of NAT CXL LWB so that leaves me with the regular for the boot. Either way I think you cannot go wrong.

6. Eleganza

Eleganza Active Member

Quick question, and I am sorry if this has already been asked several times over, but what exactly is chromexcel? I've read the info on this link, http://horween.wordpress.com/2010/03/23/chromexcel®-2/, and this indicates that it's a combo tanned leather, but a combo of what?

Thanks for any response.

Edit: Never mind, I found the info, it's calf.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

It's a combo of chrome tanned (tanned with chromium salts) and vegetable tanned (tanned with natural vegetable matter, the oldest method of tanning leather).

8. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

Nothing to be embarrassed about, depends on what you already have, your particular needs and personal preferences. I have two black shells, one cigar, and one color #8 with another hopefully arriving any day.

As for you, unless you already have something in burgundy, or just want black, consider the #8 PTB. I have to say that black shoes are black shoes, but the #8 and cigar are exceptional colors. They are classic shoes yet stand out from the ordinary. I am already debating on my next one, maybe another cigar or ravello.

9. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Actually chromexel is a tanning process or "recipe." They make chromexel out of several leathers including calf, full cow, and horse.

10. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Senior member

Thanks brother!

I hear you but I asked about hue, not shade. I didn't care if they were a light or dark shade and would agree that a question about shade would have required a subjective answer. But with respect to hue, green and red are on opposing sides of the color wheel. In my opinion, someone selling cigar should be able to tell me in which of the opposing sides of the wheel this particular brown leaned relative to what he's seen come through his shop over the last dozen or so years: green, or the opposing red.

I know you weren't necessarily defending Adam, but again, I'm happy that many have had good experiences with him. I was just adding my experience to a discussion on his service.

Correct, but when referring to opposing points on a collectively exhaustive continuum, it is binary.

11. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

So, I've got the captoe boot in #8 on the Grant last. I love them and they fit great. Barrie was never quite right for me. Should I go ahead at get the same boot in Cigar? All my other shells are Allen Edmonds PTBs in black and burgundy. That makes for a versatile collection, doesn't it?

I want to pull the trigger but, you guys know, dropping some big coin on yet another pair of shoes always makes you sweat! On the other hand Cigar is rare and I don't want to let the opportunity pass.

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

welcome!

13. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

those are definitely "sort of green" and "a little red." no question.

that's not how binary works. binary is 1 and 0. are the longwings you posted 1 or 0?

like i said before, it seems like you don't realize how un-simple the question you're asking is. seems like most everyone else in this thread does. you should think on that.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012

14. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    +1 for whiskey and argyles

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    looking good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.