1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OfficeLinebacke

OfficeLinebacke Well-Known Member

I just shlepped down to my local J. Crew store in a mall to find out they don't carry the Aldens. Then I called an even bigger streetfront store just now and was told they don't have them either, that only the "Collection" stores carry the Aldens. The "collection" store locations are super inconvenient (in downtown DC and in Georgetown), though there's a chance the Tysons store carries them. Might as well just go to the Alden store. It's almost like they are trying not to sell their Aldens in-store.

Edit: was told by a SA at the Tysons store that none of the J. Crew stores in the region carry Aldens because there is an Alden store in DC.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

2. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Distinguished Member

3. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior Member

only J. Crew Men's Stores, J. Crew Flagship Stores and J. Crew.com sell Alden's. I have to imagine J. Crew is exempt from the radius requirements of other retailers given that there are plenty of Alden stockists in New York City and like... at least 4 Men's stores and plenty of Flagships that sell them... 5th Ave. and Rock Center come to mind.

4. thebeebs

thebeebs Distinguished Member

^ It would be a horrible move for J. Crew to stock Aldens in their stores. The additional cost to distribute, stock, manage and secure this inventory far outweighs the marginal profit they earn by selling such few pairs compared to their more affordable footwear. Their typical customer doesn't have the financial means to purchase Aldens; as such, they're much better only offering them online or in certain stores in very affluent areas. Having said that, the Century City store in LA (arguably as affluent as you get in the U.S.) doesn't stock Aldens either.

5. mcarthur

mcarthur Stylish Dinosaur

[​IMG]
    brown horse bit
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

6. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior Member

the only stores in california that stock Alden's in California are the Men's Stores at South Coast Plaza and at the Grove. I believe there is one in SF that may now, but just recently.

7. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

Try Alden Madison Ave and Alden DC as well. Not sure about international shipping, by I believe they both carry Grant last cap toe boots, and its possible they could have a C width.

Good luck

http://www.aldenmadisonny.com/SHELL3.html

8. stevent

stevent Distinguished Member

Damn been to both stores recently and didn't see any Aldens

9. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Distinguished Member

10. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

J crew sells Alden shoes at all 4 men's stores in NYC (Tribeca, Soho, Columbus Circle, Upper East Side). I'm not sure about their Ludlow suit shop in Tribeca. Obviously there are a number of Alden retailers in the area

11. OfficeLinebacke

OfficeLinebacke Well-Known Member

Seeing as the suburbs of Washington, DC account for seven out of the top ten highest earning counties in the United States (if you go by median household income), you'd think that if any J. Crew stores carry Aldens, if would be stores in the DC area. Maybe I should call up the Georgetown and F street stores just to be sure, but at that point just visiting the actual Alden store is probably the best option.

Sounds like the guy at the Tyson's store didn't know what he was talking about.

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

I have various models - shoes and boots - in shell, in the following colors:

black
    opaque black
    color 8 (lighter version and purple-ish version)
    burgundy
    dark brown
    brown
    cigar (darker version and lighter/olive-ish version)
    color 4
    ravello (light and dark)
    whiskey

Color 4 is beautiful, and certainly unique, but ...... color 8 would be my first choice. And the decision is an easy one.

:nodding:

13. stevent

stevent Distinguished Member

You know my views on Color 8 already

14. thebeebs

thebeebs Distinguished Member

what exactly is opaque black? is that an Alden shell model of yours?

15. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

re: #4. What i love most about it is why Alden is brilliant: exclusivity.

The color is nice, don't get me wrong, but the rest of the spectrum is just as nice. If it were as widely available as the other colors (even the now sparse ravello and whiskey) I think you'd see the true colors of Alden #4 fans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.