• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBate

Reaction score
Gents,

after having the pair sitting in the box for the last couple of weeks (been a bit busy at work, just wore them a couple of minutes to check the correct size), I finally found the time to show them som love and give them an 'initial treatment' to prepare them for their maiden voyage tomorrow - can't wait
biggrin.gif

And in case someone wonders... that's a pair of Indy Boots in the background waiting for their treatment
wink.gif

Have a great weekend!

mr chorizo

Reaction score

Very nice, Congrats.

Lets see some pics in natural light! Those look amazing.

In other news, was at Sid Mashburn today and they have either light ravello or dark whiskey shell ptbs on the Barrie in the DOVER pattern, which I prefer. Double leather sole

mcarthur

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
okwqcn.jpg

#8 LHS
argyles otc
347tthe.jpg

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chromexcel is indeed durable in terms of taking scuffs and resisting tears (under the conditions most people in this thread put it through) and one of the things I love about the leather is the way you can buff it up with little other than a horsehide brush. However, it is a soft, pliable leather and Alden uses thin cuts. Having worn and subsequently sold two pairs of Alden boots in Chromexcel after they stretched too much and lost their shape when put through several months of my daily activities (for example installing art shows, doing wiring and mechanical repair, touring as a musician, hiking) I do not think that Chromexcel leather is the best choice for hard wear. To reference to the Roy boots specifically, I will point to these photos from Superfuture user El Topo showcasing the Roys after only 7 months of wear in similar conditions to how I treat my boots with an emphasis on outdoor activity:

I think they look cool, but I do not think you're going to get the kind of mileage out of the Chromexcel leather that the above poster was inquiring about as he does intend for these to be his only pair of boots. Provided that the ten year suggestion is hyperbole, I would reconsider.

Though the initial depth of color is less impressive, the classic wax hide Indy has been a far better every day work horse for my needs and does darken and develop more interesting character with use.

I will provide the disclaimer that I am the type of person who likes to toss on his boots and see what happens rather than plan out specifics. I purchase most of my footwear to be accordingly flexible, both aesthetically pleasing and durable. If you are using your boots less intensely doing city walking, occasional work, and especially if you're regularly rotating them with other pairs, then I think Chromexcel is an excellent leather. It is especially perfect for moccasins, though I prefer it in thick cuts as found on Yuketens and some Quoddys.

Thanks for everyone's feedback on this...

And to be honest, I am not being hyperbolic in exepecting my boots to last 10 years -- especially at $500 a pop! The Chippewas that I am replacing cost me $65 on sale, and I have worn them 3 or 4 days a week for 10 years. Reheeled them once, and only now is the leather beginning to split. So, yes, I expect Aldens to last many years. After all, they are advertised as "lifetime boots."

Anyway, lots for me to think about.. I am also looking at Whites Semi-Dress and Viberg's 1940s boot. I don't mind paying for a quality boot -- but I really WANT a quality boot if I pay.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ I'd be very interested to see these boots after a refurb.

Kashiwa

Reaction score
^^ To be honest, if I were looking at chromexcel, and trying to meet the requirements you've set, I would look at White's. They use a thicker cut, and there is much less stretching and creasing and, most importantly, a more durable boot.

Here are a fine pair of smokejumpers (photo and boots belong to Nicholas @ Hollows Leathers).

Japanese maker Moto also uses a thicker cut of CXL, and I think these before / after pics show that it holds up better.

Same story for Japanese maker White Kloud.

Perhaps the same applies to Viberg.

Last edited:

szerwo

Reaction score

Alden Sloat Plain Toe Boot, natural CXL leather, ~1 year old. Second photo shows the accurate color of the boot.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, #4 cap-toe boots look insane. I have the alden for j crew in a similar shade, but I feel like I just caught a glimpse of her hotter sister :uhoh:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I feel awful but I went with the Cigar. I know, what the hell am I doing? But I just can't get enough of the Cigar. I'm still not convinced I did the right thing. Ravello next, I promise!

Cigar is great. No apology needed. :D

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks for all of your compliments gents. I'll try to get some pics in better light today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads