1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Distinguished Member

Eh, to each his own. I conditioned my CXL boots when I got them but not much else since then. They have picked up several scuffs and marks which I don't feelthe need to buff out. But I'm sure with some work, ^^^^ those boots will be fine. That's the mark of a well made boot IMO opinion. Even after use and abuse they can be rehabilitated.

2. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

Some of these wearers would be better off with lug soled Red Wings in stiff leather if they plan on beating them up like that with apparently no maintenance. However, for most users, CXL lasts a long time when treated regularly and maintained with shoe trees

3. Alcibiades

To me, this is when ravello looks best - a darker shade of ravello with dark edging/soles... It's a very sharp look. I sold a ravello longwing and am about to return a ravello chukka because the leather was too light and the antique soles didn't have enough of a contrast... Whiskey works better with antique edge soles, IMo

4. Crat

Crat Distinguished Member

Though I might Xpost these from the waywrn shoe n boot edition.
    [​IMG]

5. planetarium

planetarium Senior Member

I will clarify and acknowledge two things:

1) Cosmetic/surface issues with Chromexcel are easily remedied and even the above boots could be made to look good again. My main problem with Chromexcel is the softness and stretchiness that can lead to a lack of structural integrity and sizing problems. More people than I have reported these issues (especially concerning sizing) in the various moc threads.

2) I recognize that Indy boots are not specifically made for work or hiking, but it is my preference to have an every day boot that can meet the need if necessary as my activities can be unpredictable. I wouldn't wear the boots for a planned camping trip for example.

At least there's one thing most of us can agree on in this thread: Alden's crepe sole leaves something to be desired :)

Shell cordovan is a good recommendation for somebody wanting a single pair of boots as many posters have shown that it is not only a beautiful leather, but an incredibly durable one. Though I don't care for his tone, nor would I recommend going hunting in a pair of single leather soled ankle boots, Crane's extensive testing of the shell Wolverine boots is worth a look for prospective buyers.

6. jimney

jimney Senior Member

Would a cordovan boot with Alden leather defender hold up pretty well to normal Chicago winter use, or would it still suffer? I was planning on going Chromexcel, but I'm not entirely sure anymore.

7. planetarium

planetarium Senior Member

I'm beginning to regret my post considering this wasn't originally a discussion on the merits of work boot leathers. For typical use calfskin, Chromexcel, or shell cordovan will be fine as long as you take care of the salt and wet due to the snow.

8. Burton

Burton Distinguished Member

Scored a pair of Ravello PTB's!

9. Alcibiades

Neither will "suffer" in "normal Chicago winter use." My go to winter boot has been an Indy 405 on commando soles treated with Montana pitch blend. It works well and you won't worry as much about getting salt stains on your cordovan boots

10. Roguls

Roguls Distinguished Member

These are boss.

11. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cigar PTB

12. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior Member

13. neutrino

neutrino Senior Member

Does anyone know what the welt is in the ravello PTB (and LWB for that matter) from Alden SF?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

14. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Distinguished Member

Modified last PTBs in... Ravello? Beautiful. And a nice photo too.

15. Waterloo 360T

Waterloo 360T Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input, I feel awful but I went with the Cigar. I know, what the hell am I doing? But I just can't get enough of the Cigar. I'm still not convinced I did the right thing. Ravello next, I promise!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.