1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

i was originally considering the tan suede chukkas but after i saw that picture of Beckham wearing the snuff ones with navy, i said to myself 'i wear a lot of navy and the snuff suede looks really good with navy in that pic on him'.

then i changed my mind and decided i wanted the snuff ones based on that.

so yeah, i think the snuff suede is cool because they look good in that pic, and on him. i don't think there is anything wrong with this line of thinking.

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

It sounds to me like your decision was based on seeing the combo in the picture that appealed to you, and you would have made the same decision even if it had been a no-name model. That's perfectly normal. Mannequins in stores are made for the same purpose.

That isn't the same thing as not liking snuff suede and then deciding that you do like snuff suede because David Beckham likes snuff suede.

3. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

even if that were the case, there would be nothing wrong with that. you cannot really tell someone they cannot like something because their reason for liking it you don't agree with.

4. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Senior member

5. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I really didn't even know Alden made a Indy boot until about six months into my current obsession. I stumbled across Aldens while looking for a pair of Edward Green's. I try to support American products that are still constructed with pride. I acquired my indys after I bought my ptbs and wingtips. Obviously we all have opinions but seeing celebrities commercialize Aldens doesn't increase my desire to own them actually quite the opposite. I really hope they don't become a designer/fashion shoe.

6. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Well, as we rapidly approach [​IMG] I suppose it's an agree to disagree situation. Suffice it to say that I'm not saying that someone cannot like something for whatever reason they choose. I am saying that I can't relate to the mentality that leads someone to make decisions based on that, and I think it's a bit pitiful and juvenile. To each his own.

7. Dbc0919

Dbc0919 Senior member

So . . . to paraphrase, To each his own, but in my opinion, you're pitiful and juvenile??? I don't think there is a need to insult the people who don't share you're opinion.

8. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Thats not what he is saying, based on my interpretation.

As MH clarified, he is not among those who buys things because he sees celebrities wearing them. Therefore, that last part of his post does not apply to MH, only those who do consciously try to emulate celebrities.

Where they disagree, is that MH thinks it is perfectly fine for people to buy things in an effort to emulate celebrities, while MWS thinks it is pitiful and juvenile.

MH or MWS, please correct me if I am misinterpreting your respective positions.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  9. Don L

Don L Senior member

Tom Brady wears Uggs.....

10. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

[​IMG]

Hahaha, that ought to throw some gas on the fire and revitalize this spirited discussion among gentlemen.

[​IMG]

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, i like your nst boots

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, good looking boot wear in good health

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    #8 wt
    argyles otc

1 person likes this.
  14. Hill

Hill Senior member

Haha nice

15. Don L

Don L Senior member

^^ Love the #8 WT's Uncle ^^

Natural CXL Brixton's today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew, thank you i like your wt boots

17. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

I gotta say, this is totally weird. It was just last year when I was looking thru the Brooks Brothers catalog and saw their unlined shell cordovan penny loafers for the jaw dropping price of $650. If you search the web for info and pics of shell cordovan penny loafers you'll invariably come across a photo of Uncle Mac wearing a variety of Alden LHS's with his trademark argyles OTC. Which links you to SF. Which leads to a very needy monkey who likes expensive shoes sitting on your head. Does Uncle Mac control the Internet?

18. Profligate47

Profligate47 Senior member

To docalden2013:

Thank you.

I tried Need Supply for the snuff suede LHS right after I read your original post, but it seems as if they have only size 8 in stock (I'm 10.5D). I am the same size in Van, Aberdeen, Tremont, Barrie, and Marlow. I tried to size up for Plaza, but they were too big and not wide enough. If you hear of any other stockists for the Snuff, please let me know...

19. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

And yes he does. :nodding: :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  20. Profligate47

Profligate47 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.