Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. planetarium

planetarium Senior member

If you live a fairly active lifestyle and want to wear them most days, I cannot recommend CXL leather or a crepe sole. If you're going to rotate the boots with others or you don't do much other than walking about in them, they'll be fine.

2. REguy

REguy Senior member

^ Never sent a pair in, but have dropped off and picked up numerous pairs for $35 a pop. Always highly satisfied with the work.

3. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

good to know. I guess the shipping costs won't be too much of a negative. I dont trust my local cobbler unfortunately

4. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

This makes no sense. CXL is nearly indestructible.

5. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

this.

my indys are beat and clean up nice with just venetian and a cloth

6. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Those 4 pairs sold out within minutes of my original post. How they even ended up with them is a mystery to me, and I won't believe it until they show up at my door...

7. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Agree completely. CXL Is very durable in my experience.

8. Renton

Renton Senior member

I sent Nick a few pairs after my local cobbler damn near ruined them. I don't remember the exact pricing but it was excellent work.

9. planetarium

planetarium Senior member

Chromexcel is indeed durable in terms of taking scuffs and resisting tears (under the conditions most people in this thread put it through) and one of the things I love about the leather is the way you can buff it up with little other than a horsehide brush. However, it is a soft, pliable leather and Alden uses thin cuts. Having worn and subsequently sold two pairs of Alden boots in Chromexcel after they stretched too much and lost their shape when put through several months of my daily activities (for example installing art shows, doing wiring and mechanical repair, touring as a musician, hiking) I do not think that Chromexcel leather is the best choice for hard wear. To reference to the Roy boots specifically, I will point to these photos from Superfuture user El Topo showcasing the Roys after only 7 months of wear in similar conditions to how I treat my boots with an emphasis on outdoor activity:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I think they look cool, but I do not think you're going to get the kind of mileage out of the Chromexcel leather that the above poster was inquiring about as he does intend for these to be his only pair of boots. Provided that the ten year suggestion is hyperbole, I would reconsider.

Though the initial depth of color is less impressive, the classic wax hide Indy has been a far better every day work horse for my needs and does darken and develop more interesting character with use.

I will provide the disclaimer that I am the type of person who likes to toss on his boots and see what happens rather than plan out specifics. I purchase most of my footwear to be accordingly flexible, both aesthetically pleasing and durable. If you are using your boots less intensely doing city walking, occasional work, and especially if you're regularly rotating them with other pairs, then I think Chromexcel is an excellent leather. It is especially perfect for moccasins, though I prefer it in thick cuts as found on Yuketens and some Quoddys.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

10. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Those boots are also a perfect example of neglect. The leather looks dryer than a popcorn fart. The indy is not a 'hiking' boot, especially on crepe. It visually wont keep up like a nylon boot would. It does not matter what the boot is or what it's made of; if you dont care for them they'll fall apart.

also ftfy

11. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Anyone interested in trade? I have Whiskey NST on the Barrie in a 9D (about 10-15 wears) and I'd like to swap em for a whiskey/ravello/cigar PTB in the same size. I also have the LS Ultimate Jumper in Brown Chromex in a 9D (trubalance) with about 5 wears (pretty much new) that I'd like to swap for another Alden boot. All eyelets preferable, but Id be open to see what you got. Drop me a pm if you're interested.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012

12. OfficeLinebacke

OfficeLinebacke Well-Known Member

Is that the mosaic floor at Washington National?

13. pic9809

pic9809 Well-Known Member

those FB plaza indies look great!

did FB already re-stock or did you manage to pick up one of the pairs from the first run? i am still waiting for them to re-stock a 9D but havent heard from frans...

14. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Seven months? Those chromexcels have been through some serious neglect. Looks like a combination of water damage, improper drying, absolutely no oiling/conditioning and no shoe tree.

I have had a pair of cxl Indys for three years and put them through some hard work. Mine look nothing like those.

15. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

I totally agree with this post. I hate when people misinterprets the meaning of "boots looks better after beat up". I had my chromexcel boots for several years and I dont really baby them but I do clean and condition them time to time. Roy/indy boots should be handsome casual boots in my opinion, not hiking/work boots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.