1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Maybe if you pay overseas prices. Nice shoes everyone (including Mr. Beckham)!

2. Steel28

Steel28 Senior member

Hopefully Safari boots will come soon to LS. This is going to be my first suede makeup + first Plaza last boots. I also have color 8 captoe (blind eyelets) boots plaza last on order from them.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  3. Joshua Lee

Joshua Lee Senior member

4. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I completely agree. I get quite annoyed with the celebrity worship that is so common out there. It's quite lost on me. I enjoy a good movie or tv show as much as the next guy, but why would I idolize a person who can act like some professional that they are not? People see a police officer every day, and could care less. But... some guy can act like he is a police officer on CSI!!! He's sooo coool!!! [​IMG]
    I don't think Bakes is missing the point that putting products on celebrities makes them sell. He is saying that it is dumb that people buy products because a celebrity is wearing them. It is a completely arbitrary trait that is present in most people, that they latch onto some idol, and saavy advertisers take advantage of it to sell products. Everyone knows that sex sells. Does it make sense to buy cigarettes just because a sexy bikini-clad woman is smoking them? Not at all. But, it works, so they use it.

5. sazon

sazon Senior member

Patrick B : great pick-up on the Cigar PTB. A classic indeed. Wear in superb health and spirits.

6. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

thanks uncle.
    thank you sir.

7. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

thanks for the advice. im in California, but I will look at their websites.

8. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

#8 plaza boots

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. sonvolt10

sonvolt10 Well-Known Member

10. Hill

Hill Senior member

There are also Self Edges in LA and San Francisco, but no Blue In Green. You also might want to try American Rag. They don't stock the high-end heavy-weight Japanese denim but have some great cuts. Some call them gateway or starter selvedge but I always come back to APC New Standards. That said I don't own many pairs of the super high-end stuff.

11. stmaier

stmaier Senior member

12. TactileOne

TactileOne Senior member

Do try Gustin Denim's website.

13. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

Seconded I have not recieved

14. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

I didn't think it had anything specifically to do with Beckham. Rather, it was a really rich guy, for whom money is no object, who chooses to wear Adlen.

15. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

nice new make up on the bureau. if i didn't have the beales in cigar from u made, would be sorely tempted.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

would love to see a group shot of your alden family. Have become increasingly convinced you have one of the best collections among us!

17. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Quote:
    Sorry if my post was not well received. It was not my intention to offend anyone. Perhaps sometimes I fail to detect the facetiousness of MH posts, which is my own fault.

That must have been the case when I read the above post where he suggests that PTBs are in fact cool because Leonardo DiCaprio wears them.

His facetious sense of humor really seems to comes out in posts where he points out that a celebrity is wearing a certain style of shoe that he himself has recently acquired. I will be sure to remain conscious of this tendency so that I do not misinterpret it again in the future.

Cheers, Gentlemen

[​IMG]

18. MoneyWellSpent

In a similar vein, check out the most recent post by SF's PhiloVance on his blog about the "Rise of the Blank Slates": http://uptowndandy.blogspot.com/ I obviously have no idea if Leonardo DiCaprio dressed himself for those pictures or not, but the point of this post holds much truth. Anytime one sees a celebrity, some level of skepticism should be applied as to whether it is really their own style, or just the product of a manufactered persona that they have enough money to pay for.

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  19. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I think you are missing the point, MWS. It doesn't matter if Leonardo DiCaprio picked those shoes out himself, or if they were chosen for him by his personal stylist. It is the fact that he is wearing the shoes at all that makes them cool.[​IMG]

(I'm just kidding people, don't flip out)

20. MoneyWellSpent

I'm not missing any point, I don't think. Maybe you missed my post further up, where I completely agree with your stance. I prefaced the second post with "in a similar vein," because I think it is in the same realm of sillyness to assume that a celebrity wearing something is in any way making it cool, or even that they are endorsing of the item. Often they are just mannequins or real-life dolls for someone who gets paid alot of money to clothe them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.