• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThArtOfWardrobe

Reaction score

Frans Boone service is ridiculously good and I haven't even bought anything yet. How much customs?

I agree, best service of any retailer from which I've purchased. No customs fee on this one because Frans marked as US origin. Previous purchase from him I paid $64 so was glad we figured it out this time around. Love the Frans Boone makeups and will definitely buy from him again.

joiji

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with some last information?

Alden for Brooks Brothers LHS and Tassel, Van and Aberdeen respectively? Size down/TTS?
I have a low instep, which last would suit me best?

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CXL Brixtons arrived

5C6DED3D-3C6E-406B-B957-FE1186150A89-13146-00000CCF692762B6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaunw

Reaction score
I agree, best service of any retailer from which I've purchased. No customs fee on this one because Frans marked as US origin. Previous purchase from him I paid $64 so was glad we figured it out this time around. Love the Frans Boone makeups and will definitely buy from him again.

The customs fee is still a gamble FYI. I just got the cigar plain toe boot from them and was hit with a fee of $117!! The package was clearly marked same as yours with US origin.

Don L

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CC6AF227-2261-4D46-9563-D77817FFC412-13146-00000CD29F429922.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can anyone help me with some last information?

Alden for Brooks Brothers LHS and Tassel, Van and Aberdeen respectively? Size down/TTS?
I have a low instep, which last would suit me best?

I have both. You are correct on lasts. As for low instep inquiries, I will defer to someone who has the same issue.

Van - 1/2 size down; and perhaps also one width down
Aberdeen - TTS

Winterbourne

Reaction score
I've read comments where people say a lot of Alden boots appear clunky and blocky but I'm finding the exact opposite.

In fact, I sent my last pair of 10d plain toe boots back for a 10 1/2 d hoping to remedy this aesthetic dilemma.

Perhaps I'm just too use to my RWs, but when I had the Aldens on my feet appeared disproportionately small compared to the rest of my body. Worst part is: my girlfriend even thought the same, so I know it wasn't just a skewed perception issue from myself.

Can tightness of pants counteract this a lot, in your personal experience?

Furthermore, I like the Plain toes a lot, looks wise just about the same as the 1000 Mile boot. However, would you agree that the leather and durability overall is in Aldens favor here? Anyone have/had both who can comment?

Last edited:

ThArtOfWardrobe

Reaction score

The customs fee is still a gamble FYI. I just got the cigar plain toe boot from them and was hit with a fee of $117!! The package was clearly marked same as yours with US origin.

Ouch, good to know. Thanks for the heads up and congrats on your new boots.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've read comments where people say a lot of Alden boots appear clunky and blocky but I'm finding the exact opposite.
In fact, I sent my last pair of 10d plain toe boots back for a 10 1/2 d hoping to remedy this aesthetic dilemma.
Perhaps I'm just too use to my RWs, but when I had the Aldens on my feet appeared disproportionately small compared to the rest of my body. Worst part is: my girlfriend even thought the same, so I know it wasn't just a skewed perception issue from myself.
Furthermore, I like the Plain toes a lot, looks wise just about the same as the 1000 Mile boot. However, would you agree that the leather and durability overall is in Aldens favor here? Anyone have/had both who can comment?
I think people who refer to the "clunkiness" of Aldens are generally using this as a term of endearment (assuming they are Alden fans of course
smile.gif
). It is sort of a quintessentially "American" look. When compared to the sleeker English made shoes and boots, Aldens are significantly heavier looking. I don't think it is fair to compare them to Red Wing when you are strictly looking at sleekness/clunkiness.

Last edited:

RLG212

Reaction score
How do people usually size in the Leydon unlined relative to their Van, TB, or Barrie size? I'd like to get a pair of unlined chukkas. I am a TTS 11D, the TB fits me in 10.5D, the Barrie I take a 10.5E (fits in the forefoot but heel is loose), and the van I take an 11D (both lined andunlined). I've heard the Leydon runs narrow, so should I go 11E in an unlined Leydon chukka?

I'm normally a 10D in the Barrie last. I ordered a pair of the unlined chukkas through Leffot and Steven sized me up a 1/2 size and put me in an E width (So I'm in a 10.5E in them). I'm very happy with the fit.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A lot of people debate this, but non-Indy Alden shoes and boots are essentially "dress" or "dress casual" shoes and boots... Red Wings are work boots, so they will look more substantial. They are simply a different look. If you don't wear dress shoes all the time, Alden shoes may look "small" relative to your other wear. Smaller leg openings will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads