• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any chance Of finding a discount on Alden's this black Friday?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
nice. how do you like the black Lindricks? is there an Alden model you would compare them to?

All of my Alden boots are shell, so in my personal collection I guess I wouldn't have a comparable.

I really do like these and the fit is great. I went TTS - 9.5D. Interestingly, these boots from RL said 9.5D (UK8.5), whereas my dark brown shell marlows - also from RL - were labeled 9.5D (UK9E). Each pair fits my feet the same. Because they are calf, I will probably have an easier time beating them up - not that I will try to beat them up, just won't be quite as particular about the conditions I wear them in. Overall I am very happy with the purchase - they retail for $1,100 and I got them for $655. Strangely enough, the RL website was selling the same boot - in brown shell - at the same price point.

RL has always sold their black calf and brown shell for the same price when they offer both.
Cheers to your black Lindricks. I was tempted to get some but I already have black shell j crew wingtip boots. I like the shape of the Lindricks better tho.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
in my experience, tongue slipping occurs because of the way the shoe is constructed. sometimes the tongue leather is just a little bit canted compared to the main axis of the shoe. this becomes quite pronounced with boots, which obviously have long tongues.

both the left and right tongues on my barrie boots cant to the right of the shoe's axis.
That would account for the problem as well, I hadn't looked at mine that closely but will take a look at this next time. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The leather around my speedhooks is tearing and the rivets look like they'll pull through eventually (#8 NST boots). Is this normal? Anything I can do about it, other than lacing less tight?

Last edited:

Edmund K

Reaction score
How would you guys compare Crockett and Jones with Alden. It seems Ralph Lauren Darlton/Marlow Wingtip by C&J is a more refine shoe compare to Alden LWB. Maybe the C&J last is sleeker looking than Barrie. What do you guys think?

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ C&J definitely has better fit and finish, and a higher level of quality control. Generally sleeker and more refined, consistent with its English heritage. I don't think anyone would dispute that. Alden, however, has some very classic makeups and a certain clunkiness that appeals to a large segment of the population, myself included. I'd also add that there is room in one's collection for both brands, and then some. I consider myself a loyal fan of both, as do many on this thread.

imolazhp_ci

Reaction score

^ C&J definitely has better fit and finish, and a higher level of quality control.  Generally sleeker and more refined, consistent with its English heritage.  I don't think anyone would dispute that.  Alden, however, has some very classic makeups and a certain clunkiness that appeals to a large segment of the population, myself included.  I'd also add that there is room in one's collection for both brands, and then some.  I consider myself a loyal fan of both, as do many on this thread. 

agreed completely. my primary collections is split equally between the two brands. but everything you said is dead on re. quality.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How would you guys compare Crockett and Jones with Alden.  It seems Ralph Lauren Darlton/Marlow Wingtip by C&J is a more refine shoe compare to Alden LWB.  Maybe the C&J last is sleeker looking than Barrie.  What do you guys think?

I have way more Aldens but think the C&Js are a much better shoe, especially if purchased at the private sales' prices

Edmund K

Reaction score
Good to know. I became more educated about fine shoe after reading Alden thread. I used to buy many different shoe brands, but they go out of style and sitting in my closet after couple wears. It is extremely wasteful when you see your expensive shoe go out of date. So I guess you don't have much choice when you look for classic quality shoes.

DBate

Reaction score
I was there one time, albeit recently. It's in or around Sumida near the water. Kashiwa can perhaps give you more precise directions.

It's a bit off the beaten track (for retail at least). It's located on the right (south) bank of the Kanda River right before it empties into the Sumida. More specifically, it's in the block of buildings between the last two bridges over the Kanda. Apparently it wasn't there yet when the Google van came through so you won't find it on street-view. There's a few stations around, but it's an interesting walk over the Sumida from Ryogoku (sumo town) on the Sobu line. PM if you can't find it.

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate that. Seems like I had been looking in the correct area on google, however discarded it since I could not see the store on street-view. So thanks for the hint Kashiwa. Will probably be back to Tokyo in January and will have a look for Anatomicas Alden collection then.

Yokj

Reaction score
PSA: AoC are taking preorder for Whiskey LWB. jan/feb delivery.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only poking into this thread occasionally as of late - anyone know what's happened to Uncle Mac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads