1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

This (bold) would seem to suggest 12D is the answer. Am I missing something?

2. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

I use and like Montana pitch blend on CXL too. I don't think the leather is really going to take a shine, but something like pitch blend can give a nice deep gloss. I wipe the shoes clean, apply pitch blend with my fingers, let it sit a little and then wipe everything down with a paper towel.

Thanks, gentlemen. I think the shine is in part just how the light and the dubious iPhone camera captured them. Haven't done all that much to them other than an occasional brushing and one or two applications of Venetian shoe cream.

I just wish they were an E width (or, more practically, that I'd gone a size up). They are definitely a special makeup, but not quite my most comfortable pair of Aldens to wear. The bar lacing is actually one way I found that gives me a little more room in them. And I like how it looks too. Anyway, can't quite see getting rid of them. :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  3. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

This.

Also, these shoes are almost expected to be a little uncomfortable when brand new. There is a bit of a break-in period.

However, if they are more than a little uncomfortable, indeed you do probably have the wrong size.

4. pdecker78

pdecker78 Member

I believe this is more discomfort than the normal "break-in" that would be expected. My concern with the 12D is that there would be too much heel slippage. With my 12D shortwings on the Tremont last, I believe the they're probably a little big, but they work since they're lace-ups. I guess I just need some input on similarities between the Tremont and Grant lasts. If the consensus is that Tremont and Grant are the same, 11.5D will probably be the winner. However, if there's anyone that thinks the Tremont runs large compared to the Grant, I may decide to try the 12D. Thanks for everyone's input.

5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

For all my loafers (all Van last) I went down 1 width (b/d to a/c) to make sure I had no heel slippage - they are snug in width, but comfortably snug. Going down one width also means you go down 1 in heel width.

If the 12C has no heel slippage, I would be inclined to stay with them.

6. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

I do not own a LHS, but have tried on a few sizes, and think I fall into the same camp as SFTG (11 D Barrie, 11 C Van).

7. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

Same here -- 8.5D Barrie, 8.5C Van, with the Van being a little on the tight side

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I like color 8 with the purple / red / general "non-brown" tones because my view is that Alden already has a great brown cordovan color: cigar... The purple/red tones will fade over time but their presence is what makes color 8 so unique, particularly in sunlight. Leffot just put an awesome photo of color 8 shoes in sunlight on their twitter feed

9. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

I fully agree with this. Alden's #8 is boss!

10. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. DC_JD

DC_JD Member

Received a pair of CXL Wingtips purchased over on B&S. They were supposed to be only worn a few times, and have just a couple of scuff marks (which were documented and photographed).

But what I wasn't expecting was this wrinkled mess on the outside of the left shoe. Anyone know if this is fixable?

[​IMG]

By comparison, here's the outside of the right boot:

[​IMG]

Otherwise a nice pair of boots, but none of my other CXL boots have wrinkled like this, so I'm concerned that these are defective.

Any tips appreciated.

12. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Yep I agree, Color #8 is Boss!!!

[​IMG]

13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Fall sun hitting color 8 shoes at Leffot (courtesy of their twitter account)

[​IMG]

14. private eyes

private eyes Senior member

2 pictures from the last week

Alden X J.Crew

[​IMG]

Alden 405 Indy

[​IMG]

15. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Others might want to chime in but I don't think there's any way to remove those wrinkles. Some CXL leather is just prone to more wrinkling than others. Not sure if it's the original condition of the leather or something to do with the tanning process. I don't think it means the boots are defective. I have CXL boots where one side of the vamp is much more wrinkled than the other. What I'm seeing on your boot wouldn't bother me personally as I think it just adds some character and "lived-in-ness". I prefer my boots that way but I think I lean towards the casual/work boot side of the spectrum more so than the rest of those on these threads. And I know others have posted how they despise CXL precisely because of this wrinkling. I almost think that's why I like CXL so much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.