1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

These are awesome. I've recently tried contacting TSM regarding shipping a pair north of the border but no one has answered. Does anyone know if "Mark" still works there?

2. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Some quick questions re Alden Leather Defender, which arrived from JCrew today:

- Label claims it will "clean and protect calfskin and genuine shell cordovan." Can I trust that it can indeed be used on shell? (I know it says so, but I'm paranoid about it given that I'm kind of a shoe care newbie)

- Directions are to "Apply Alden Leather Defender to a soft cloth and wipe shoes thoroughly. Let dry. Turn cloth and buff gently. For best results allow leather to dry completely before wearing shoes." Do you fellow Alden Leather Defender users actually follow this procedure? If memory serves well enough, I have a faint recollection of someone instructing us to simply spray the shoe before going out on days rain is predicted. I'd rather go with this on-the-fly method. Shoe care can be time consuming. I'm barely keeping up on my Mac Method basics! (Please don't tell Uncle; I don't want him to be disappointed in me, especially before I post pics of the new whiskeys tomorrow) [​IMG]

- For those of you who don't believe in the Leather Defender, what alternative water protection, if any, are you using and why?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can offer.

3. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Mac, do you ever use Reno or Venetian on your shells? How often?

4. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

^^^On the topic of laces, does anyone know where i can find Quality Beige laces? I want to change up the look of my shoes but Yellow and Orange are not going to cut it.

5. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

How about http://www.shoelacesexpress.com/fashionrounddresslaces.asp ?

Good luck!

Oh, a quick followup question: Are you colored laces-wearing folks ever struggling with shoe dye, etc getting on the laces? I recently removed the yellow laces from my #8 LWBs and found random spots (probably at exactly where the lace enters the eyelets) were stained with eggplant-color. Some of the stains rubbed off with a little elbow grease, but they still linger. Should I launder them? Oxyclean?

6. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I've used the defender on shell with no problems. In fact I believe it was formulated specifically for shell cordovan - http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2011/12/22/alden-leather-defender/ But I usually only put it on during rainy season, or I'm going out to a bar where beer or something might spill.

7. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

thanks, but there can only be one uncle mac.
    thanks, they are very nice looking.
    thank you sir
    thanks, I know, im not worthy.
    thank you sazon, these do seem a bit darker. maybe the creases will show lighter tones.
    gracias argentino
    thank you sir
    thank you brp2, keep looking, you never know...
    thank you sir.
    thanks uncle.

8. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

shaunw, the boots are awesome

9. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

great boots uncle, I haven't seen those before. thanks for sharing.

10. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

congrats steve, great score

11. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

blue, great shoes. I want a pair.

12. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

had a cobbler add a third eyelet to my pair of cxl chukkas, they did a fine job and it it improved the fit for me. unfortunately, they also polished the shoe with i don't know what, and i really dislike shiny cxl. these had a really nice dull glow (if that makes sense) when new. what's the best way to remove the polish and start from scratch? i already applied some reno and that didn't do much. do i step it up to renomat? an AE product perhaps?

13. tsekh

tsekh Senior member

RenoMat is the way to go.

14. 925

925 Well-Known Member

from Alden trunk show @ Tassels HK last week

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

IIRC, fellow sf'er interlockingny has these (LS ravello WT) in a 9.5D for sale in the B/S thread.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  16. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior member

A little whiskey for a casual Friday.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. dslonghorn4

dslonghorn4 Senior member

A little whiskey for a casual Friday.
    [​IMG]

18. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

A lovely day for snuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

...make that TWO shots of Whiskey [​IMG]

20. hpreston

hpreston Senior member

I recently bought Alden Leather Defender to protect my shell PTB's. I purchased it from Kathy at Alden DC (more on that story later) and she reiterated that it is mainly for shell, "but you can use it on calf too, if you want" and will prevent water spots, if caught in the rain, she also made sure to tell me to "spray it on a cloth first, then apply to the shoe using the cloth." I followed her advice, and it looks fine on shell, although I have not worn them in the rain yet.

I plan to treat all of my shell shoes with it in the comming weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.