Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

love this

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I don't know what my Holy Grail model is, and it may be, in the final analysis, something that's already in my closet (e.g., my ravello captoe bluchers with medallion toe on the plaza would perhaps be in the running). Having said that, my color 8 NST high boot on the Plaza last is absolutely wonderful. If it were available in the other shell colors, I would consider buying it in all the shell colors, save for whiskey. It would be particularly great in cigar.

Color 4 is nice, and certainly hard to come by - I have it in a non-Alden PTB - but, for overall versatility, I would give the nod to color 8 and Cigar over color 4.

3. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

My go to pair --> Color 8 PTB
    My most prized --> Ravello LWB with the dark brown edge
    Unattainable --> #4 wtip boot (I'd go for the cap toe boot as well)

4. Chien

Chien Well-Known Member

Very tempted to make a plunge for the 4065 black cordovan captoe boots from theshoemart...

But if I'm a 8.5d Barrie, do I go for the same size or 9 as this pair is in the grant last

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

5. newbiealden

newbiealden Senior member

2000+ pages searched - but no firm solution (okay i didn't look at every pages)

So my first pair of alden chromexcel indy 403s need some shining help. Basically, the finish on some spots of the boot is gone or in very rouch shape. A number of people say don't use polish - but is there any other way to get a shine back on some of these rough spots. I"m not looking for a dress shoe shine - but i want to be able to wear these in a casual dress environment without being too casual if that makes sense. Any examples / pictures would be great!

thanks!

6. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Holy grail --- ravello PT boot, all eyelet, double water lock soles with antique edging. Second choice is the Thor boot (so I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the mto we've got going).

7. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

I emailed Alden last year about this and they recommended using "brown paste wax sparingly".

However, I never actually did it. I've found that using the Mac Method after every wear, evens out any scuffs or patchy discoloration. I also apply some Saphir Reno when they look like they need some moisture.

I don't have any before/after fotos, but here's a recent foto of mine:

[​IMG]

I hope this helps!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

8. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

^ I've done the same on mine...works well

9. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

Alternate saphir reno with conservative amounts of good old kiwi brown. It is leaving a nice shine on my 403.

10. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

I'm getting some Alden Defender delivered today or tomorrow. Anyone care to share any tips, experiences, do's & dont's regarding the application? Thanks!!

11. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Where did you get yours, and were you able to get it without tax and/or shipping?

12. newbiealden

newbiealden Senior member

thanks for the replies folks...

i think i might try some kiwi in neutral in a very small spot and see what it looks like...

will take some before and after pics

thanks

13. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

It's coming from J. Gilbert. I ordered it along with #8 NST boots and some shoe trees, but they ran out of Defender when the boots shipped. I don't remember if I paid tax or shipping initially, but they're not charging me again for shipping the Defender. You might want to inquire if they will ship USPS Priority Express? … could be pretty cheap and it only takes a day or two.

14. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

I'd advise against the neutral. Use brown wax if you really need to add color, Saphir Reno or Venitian shoe cream for some shine. My go to has been to just brush the hell outta them. There is so much dye in cxl that it evens out on its own. Just my 2¢.

15. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.