***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djh

djh Senior member

Further confirmation that Ravello is secretly the best shell cordovan. Not that there's anything wrong with any other cordovan... Want to send me your cigars? [​IMG]

Not really a secret, haha. It's the best because it's the perfect middle ground.

2. Arizor

Arizor Senior member

Those ravellos are gorgeous Arrow.

3. scb

scb Senior member

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    whiskey indy

5. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

6. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

The differences (between the 403 and the Ultimate Indy) are subtle but its more than just the sole. I don't know all the technical jargon but as far as I can see they are:
    - white stitching on the top heel on the 403 vs matching stitching on the ultimate
    - white stitching on the outside edge of the sole on the 403 vs matching stitching on the ultimate
    - thicker (cotton?) laces with the 403 vs flat waxed laces on the ultimate

And of course there's the obvious... cork sole on the 403 vs leather sole w/stitched rubber sole (commando) on the ultimate.

Sorry to revive this from a few weeks ago, but I'm trying to decide between the two myself.

I see the difference in stitching (white v. matching) on the top heel / leg opening of the two boots. But as far as the outside edge of the sole is concerned, pics seem to show that both the 403 and the Ultimate have white stitching. What am I missing?

Does the Ultimate really have different stitching anywhere besides the leg opening?

7. arrow

arrow Senior member

BEAUTIFUL! Such a rare piece...

[​IMG]
    whiskey indy

8. Dexter_

Dexter_ Senior member

Sorry to revive this from a few weeks ago, but I'm trying to decide between the two myself.

I see the difference in stitching (white v. matching) on the top heel / leg opening of the two boots. But as far as the outside edge of the sole is concerned, pics seem to show that both the 403 and the Ultimate have white stitching. What am I missing?

Does the Ultimate really have different stitching anywhere besides the leg opening?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't have a stock 403 so I cannot make a direct comparison in the flesh but the stitching on my Ultimate Indy is not white compared to pics of the 403.

9. rebel222

rebel222 Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I don't have a stock 403 so I cannot make a direct comparison in the flesh but the stitching on my Ultimate Indy is not white compared to pics of the 403.

Those appear to be the same color. I think it is just lighting & dirt from wear that make you think they are different.

10. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

BEAUTIFUL! Such a rare piece...

thank you

11. Dexter_

Dexter_ Senior member

Those appear to be the same color. I think it is just lighting & dirt from wear that make you think they are different.

It could be that the 403 has non white stitch. Maybe someone with a stock 403 can opine so we can know for sure.

The Ultimate however was not white when I got it brand new, it is not from dirt and wear.

12. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

It could be that the 403 has non white stitch. Maybe someone with a stock 403 can opine so we can know for sure. The Ultimate however was not white when I got it brand new, it is not from dirt and wear.
    403s have white stitching.

13. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

14. Trapp

Trapp Senior member

Okay, I can see from this pic found on the net that the ultimate has stitching which appears off-white, or at least 'not-quite-as-white' as the stitching on the 403.

(thanks to whoever I borrow this pic from--i think it might be a sufu poster).

The difference seems pretty subtle. I wonder if it will be noticed at all after 3-4 months of wear. As the 403's start to age, perhaps we'll have more evolution pics to draw conclusions from.
    [​IMG]

15. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.