***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

If that's the case then i'm envious, Sir.
    I buy/wear boots like that so I can put them through their paces and not worry about upkeep.
    I like chromexcel for its suppleness, resiliency, and how it shows its age with wear.
    I love how it's dignified (brush it and it comes back), and rugged all at the same time.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

2. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

I am referring only to aesthetics; I agree with the quality of the leather. We're going to have to agree to disagree, because I found nothing dignified in the almost comical creases the cxl developed almost immediately.

3. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

I agree to a certain extent, but respectfully disagree.
    while J Crew undoubtedly puts a dent in the production schedule of alden, so many of the wonderful makeups from the boutiques you mentioned are in fairly exotic leathers. So, even if someone had the capital to place orders on a mass scale as j-crew does there really isn't enough material (such as exotic shells) to fulfill such an order.

I agree that J Crew has a number of middle of the road makeups, but others, such as the chomexcel indy and #8 shell chukka and captoe boot, are pure utility and pretty well thought out from a supply/demand standpoint.

Furthermore, Alden has been around for awhile and they wouldn't work with a retailer such as J Crew if it didnt make sense. (anecdotal evidence of them not agreeing to supply retailers within a certain proximity of eachother here in boston leads me to make such a statement)
    The way I see it, they hedge deals with big companies such as J Crew so that they can expand their production, this allows them to keep up with the demand from those smaller boutiques with innovative ideas.

I look back a few years ago and there were just so many shops carrying alden. J Crew has been dealing with them for a few years now, and it's been during this time that a lot of these smaller boutiques have blown up. I can't dismiss that as mere coincidence.

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

:rotflmao:

5. meso

meso Senior member

You mean like a stranger with candy?

The delay sucks, I agree, and I'm hardly a huge J crew fan but I'm not sure blame for that can be placed entirely on them.

Alden has to stay in business somehow.

6. Kai

Kai Senior member

Casual Friday: All-black calfskin Indy boots with commando sole from Alden of Carmel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I am in the CXL camp. While I love Alden's regular calfskin, I also like to have their CXL boots as well. To me, the creases only add character and cxl's patina is wonderful after some good wear. CXL also has a very nice tactile feel to it. Dare I say almost sensual?

8. stevent

stevent Senior member

I have CXL quoddies and did have yuketens. For that kind of shoe it's great. For my 403s, I'm mixed. It's nice to have the oilier leather so there's less care, but I get random scratches that look terrible until I clean the shoe up

9. blake3030

blake3030 Senior member

8 months into my pair of CXL indys and they're nothing like what you're describing,

10. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

can you remind me why they are called Roy boots?

11. FENWAY

FENWAY Senior member

Pretty sure they're named after someone affiliated with Context...maybe the owners Father. Great boot...love mine

12. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

LOVE the eyelets and the entique edge...but crepe?!? :fu: :fu: :fu:

13. blue collar

WOW I really like these. So much better than the standard black indy.

14. blue collar

Is the leather on Alden's calf offereings cut (shaved) as thick as say the chromexcel or cordovan offerings? I have calf shoes from other shoe companies but don't always love how "thin" the calf feels. I like how robust the cordovan/CXL feels.

15. sellran

sellran Senior member

All this talk of Roy boots made me decide to wear mine today. These are from the first run at Context a few years ago (when they were made on the Barrie last). They were my first Aldens and I loved them so much they were followed by about 10 more.[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.