***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

very nice wardrobe

2. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    cigar wt boot
    argyles otc
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  3. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Its kind of funny because they said it the email:

"...trust and know that your information will not be given..."

4. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Wow so gorgeous. Nice to see your pics again

5. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

clearly it's their 1st foray into using this thing called a computer, someone must have donated them an e-machine

6. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

lol fuckin Alden DC just gave out my person email address to a bunch of people..

7. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

Geez, who's running their mail server that lets them send out an email to 1,000 people? I can't do that without using a list service or similar. Of course, this is a good example of why not to try. They really should have ponied up the $200 or so to use Constant Contact or similar.

8. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

This line in just about any public-facing privacy policy applies to the selling of infomration to third party marketers.

Either way, it's name + email address. It's not personally identifiable information and doesn't constitute a privacy breach or wrongful disclosure. This is much ado about nothing.

9. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I know, I just thought it was kind of funny.

10. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

It's certainly not an advisable practice... I work in this industry though and it's crazy how much some people will freak out over disclosure of non-private information.

11. stevent

stevent Senior member

Someone should sell the list to any shoe retailer, or trade it for a pair of aldens :lol:

12. Coldsnap

Coldsnap Senior member

You're wrong though. People now a days really need to be aware about how much information you get get from someone with just an email address. If I had time or a motive I could look at that list and cross reference it with the hundreds of thousands of database cracks that have been uploaded to the internet in the pass year. I'm sure I would easily find many people who used that email to sign up for a service and the password for the service. Since many people use the same password for multiple sites I could continue on that path and eventually access their main email or do some other serious damage. For example if someone took my email, ran it through the EA database leaks that are uploaded everywhere they would find my password to the EA account which was my password to many websites (until I changed it and started using a third party password encryption program).

13. pistolero

pistolero Senior member

Stunning...the blind eyelets are a nice detail.

14. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

1. If someone is going to go through this fantastic fact pattern, whether or not the information is accidentally disclosed is really immaterial. Let's be honest - anybody willing to go to that level of effort would probably just hack into a company and take the email addresses, instead of waiting for a silly email using a "To" field instead of a "BCC." And surely we can agree it would be easy, as I doubt many (any?) retailers are storing email addresses encrypted at rest.

2. Why would anybody bother with cross-checking email addresses when there is a wealth of legitimate PII available online?

By the way, your scenario is the same hypothetical fact pattern that has been used in a number of email breach lawsuits and shot down every time because plaitiff attorneys haven't been able to find a single person who's had actual damages arising out of an email breach.

15. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.