1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Maiden voyage for my brand new pair of tan suede chukkas today, and of course I go out to walk my dogs tonight and take a step right in a nice steaming pile of shit from some other dog. I'll spare any pics to keep the forum in good taste.

I hate my apartment complex, so many other dog owners neglect to pick up after their own pets. If I see someone not pick it up I'm gonna punch them in the face.

2. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

gracias argentino.
    thank you sir.
    thank you sir.
    yes, I love them they get lots of wear.
    thank you sir.
    thanks, be ready to pull the trigger when you find your size.
    thanks for the kind words everyone.

3. jereth

jereth Active Member

Dude that sucks! I hope you don't mind that I ran the scenario through my head and had a chuckle at your expense. Make sure to post pics of your first victim.

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    thank you

5. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

great whiskey uncle mac, welcome back.
    great color on those. mine look greener.
    great picture argentino. I keep meaning to take a group shot of the shoes I wear during the week. I don't put them away every night, I usually brush them and put them away on the weekend.

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Fu$k! Did it get on the shoe itself or only the sole? Time to get a headlamp or something for extra inspection. I am truly sorry to hear about this

7. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

8. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Welcome back Mac!

9. azima

azima Well-Known Member

Wore my Alden X Leffot Navy Suede LWBs today. First time sockless, and my feet didn't enjoy it

[​IMG]

10. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

Luckily it was just the sole, didn't get anything on the suede, so I guess it could have been worse. A headlamp would actually help when walking the dogs at night, haha

11. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

re- Alden Leather Defender, do you use it year 'round? or just when it's rainy?

12. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I was serious about the headlamp. It is a help for nighttime dog walking

13. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Amazed that someone would buy a pair and never wear them. The auction terms are quite reasonable IMO. My size, but I am able to resist. My illness must be subsiding. I think I figured out the cure. Buy Aldens until you have enough that you really don't want them so badly anymore. Just let it run its course. I suppose how many pairs it takes varies person to person, but there was a time, not long ago, when I would have bid on these just because they are Color 4 and my size.

14. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I saw some guy once in a youtube video refer to it as the final step when polishing shoes. He also said that it acts as a sealant to make the leather more resistant to dust and dirt.

Doesn't it rain year 'round anyway?

15. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I got my Dad a rechargeable mag-lite and gave it the terralux LED upgrade. (I recommend) It's blindingly bright. He stomps in dog poo anyway. I guess the brightest light in the world can't help you if you aren't paying attention.

16. Hill

Hill Senior member

Great collection. I'm regretting not picking up those cigar captoe boots.

I don't own any light shell, but after your and MrDV's posts I'm hoping to find some whiskey.

Great to see the contrast between the red and green-leaning shades of these two cigars.

Love the laces you chose for these. They give the boot some ruggedness.

17. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

There is actually an explanation behind that. It's not naturally occurring.

When I first got them, they were far from perfect. They came with the severe creases on the right shoe that you see, and there was some black spots on the inside toe as well. Same spots I've seen other people post pictures of, its some kind of glue dripping or something. Given the condition, I was unsure of whether or not I should keep them. I was pretty annoyed that the retailer (who shall remain nameless) sent me such a flawed pair, but since they are C widths and there were no replacements available for the foreseeable future, I was faced with a tough decision. I brought them to my [former] cobbler since I was picking up two other pairs of shoes from him to see if he thought it was acceptable. When I showed it to him, he grabbed it out of my hand and said he could fix it. He actually was able to get the black glue spots off pretty easily with a little solvent, but then there were un-dyed spots where the glue spots had been because Alden dyed over them. When I pointed that out, he took brown kiwi cream polish and polished the shoe before I could say anything to stop him. Thats why the two shoes are slightly different colors. I was furious. I guess I had to keep them after he did that to them. I haven't been back to him since, partially because I moved 500 miles away, but even if I hadn't I would never let him work on any of my shell shoes again. They have evened out over time, but you have a great eye for noticing.

Besides, as they say, they're only shoes.

18. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

patina sunday
    alden for bb x 3
    i no longer have any of these ;(

[​IMG]

19. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

They are my size as well but when i saw the auction I never even considered bidding. One year ago and I would have bidded these up but now that I have a closet full of Aldens (mostly shell) these don't do anything for me. I think it has run it's course for me.

Truthfully though with prices as high as they are now (over $700 for rare colors) this is not a bad deal.

I couldn't imagine buying shoes and not wearing them for two years? What gives?

1 person likes this.
  20. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.