***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grendel

grendel Senior member

Not by modern American standards. It can work with more casual suits and anything business casual.

2. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

:lurk:

3. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

I'm not usually one to debate these things, but once you start saying things like "by no standard" you are being ignorant if not misleading. By your standard, fine. But not "by no standard." While to purists, it is deemed unacceptable to wear longwings, bluchers, and perhaps even shell cordovan altogether, most men in modern society (99%+) don't give two shits whether traditions are being followed.

Regardless, several modern day designers, such as Paul Smith, Thom Browne, Tom Ford, Mark McNairy and others, disregard convention, or else follow the "standards" very loosely, and find their work very popular in the business environment. I can walk into any boardroom meeting with any color LWB (except whiskey) and I guarantee not one person will notice. Except maybe the guy who spends more time analyzing his shoe collection than focusing on his career - but he's probably too busy fetching our coffee.

The LWB is a very versatile shoe, and especially with dark edging, is quite appropriate as a business shoe.

4. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

to 99% of Americans, this is a casual shoe

[​IMG]

while a dress shoe is made of leather

itt people debate intricacies that 99.9% of people would never ever notice. things like a natural edge vs dark edge - only shoe geeks care about or notice this stuff. which is fine and ok. just don't confuse this with standards that anyone else in the world uses

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012

5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Some shell LWBs are quite casual in my book, e.g., whiskey.

But to suggest that a black shell or color 8 shell LWB is strictly a casual shoe - and by no standard could be considered in any manner a dress shoe - would require a significant departure from good sense.

6. Kai

Kai Senior member

My first pair of shell chukkas: (Cigar, from Shoemart.) I'm really liking them. Seem like perfect fall footwear.

[​IMG]

7. djwoblely

djwoblely Senior member

@makewayhomer hahahahah, nice

8. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Gracias

9. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

My understanding is that the black longwing was the dress shoe by the standards of conservative American organizations in the "company man" days.

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Nice boots.

These were my first chukkas as well. I predict you will buy additional pairs. :D

11. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Bad news from Shoemart on my irregular order:

Hello,
    I am emailing regarding your recent order with TheShoeMart. Unfortunately, while, at the time you placed the order for the ALD_9_D, our computer system showed that we had this item in stock, we actually do not, as it was an inventory error. Our inventory system is usually very accurate, but, unfortunately, on occasion, it may show that we have an item in stock when, physically, we do not.

Since this item is not available, your order has been cancelled, and you will be credited for it in full today. We do apologize for the inconvenience and hope to be of more assistance in the future. If you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.

Does this happen often?

12. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

Is this for the brown captoe medallion boot on the modified last? If so, you may be the 30th person this has happen to.

13. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Awesome color, CTYGGG!! Hope the Thor boot MTO comes out in this color (if it gets approved).

14. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

15. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

nephew,
    looking good

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.