1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chantheman

chantheman Senior Member

this. i was the same. charge when shipped. strange i didnt get an email from TSM on this yet. those that were lucky to get their size shipped in the #4 wingtip boot really lucked out

2. REguy

REguy Senior Member

While the latest LS offering reminds me of the slippers the pope wears, I give them credit for resurrecting something out of the archives. I love seeing something other than LWBs for a change.

I'm sure I speak for more than just myself when I say I have more pairs of shoes than I know what to do with and now only buy when I see something unique. That being the case, I say dig deeper into Alden's closet and pull out some relics that'll really shake things up!

3. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior Member

Ditto. I don't think they're so bad. Not everyone's cup of tea, and especially not for this particular audience which is much more into boots and chunky shoes, but that doesn't mean they're inherently awful. Sort of like Alden's wholecut loafers - I have never seen one on a human foot, in real life or on the internet, but they're kind of cool in their way and always draw my attention at Alden Madison.

4. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Distinguished Member

on one hand, sure, otoh, this is a style of shoe that every crap shoe maker currently has - it's not exactly an Indiana Jones type find

5. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior Member

Every crap shoemaker also makes black laceups - doesn't mean the same style can't be done better. :fonz:

6. velomane

velomane Senior Member

Frankly, it is my opinion that the UPS rep you spoke with is full of shit. Canadians are well aware of UPS' extortionist brokerage charges. In Canada, most of the fees charged in a case such as yours would be going straight into the UPS coffer, with only the absolute required amount remitted to the government. For example, a Timbuktu messenger back I ordered several years ago got charged with an extra $80 in fees (for a $180 item). I told them the to send it back. A few days later, the local UPS people phoned me to say that I can broker it myself. I did so, at a cost of an hour of my time and $20 in tax. All I had to do was go to UPS, pick up some paperwork, go to the Customs office (not very far from UPS) and clear my parcel, then go back to UPS to get the goods. I realize geography may not make this viable for many of you, but it is for me. Over the years, I've cleared many of my UPS deliveries myself. Even so, I try to avoid using the company as much as possible.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Distinguished Member

While this is not me, this is an absolutely true statement. Alden's dressier offerings get very little play on this thread. But oh well, it is what it is. And, in truth, I like some (but not all) Alden boots and I like many Barrie lasted shoes.

8. SLAB

SLAB Senior Member

wanted to show some excellent craftmanship from 'the Shoehealer' who repaired my Indy's in less than a week. Neoprene sole changed for a single leather midsole and dainite outersole

[​IMG]
    IMG_3616 by SLAB13, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_3617 by SLAB13, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    IMG_3618 by SLAB13, on Flickr

9. Alpina

Alpina Senior Member

Not that I can offer. I emailed this to Leffot but have not gotten reply yet. Alas, I'm thinking about starting a horse ranch.

Hey Guys,

I was poking around for information about a supposed Ravello shell shortage, and came across this post by the guys over at Epaulet. Are you getting the same intel they are—that there is basically none on the horizon? If you sense this order will be well into 2013, I will almost be relieved, as I could then try to forget about it and have it be a nice surprise when it arrives.

10. sevenfoldtieguy

I recently purchased the dark brown shell RL Marlow SWB from RL online (made by C&J). I took advantage of the 25% off promo they were running ($850 less 25%). They will serve as a very nice brother to my ravello SWB. My Marlows are quite a bit darker than even my cigar models (which I was expecting).

For those on here that want the elusive ravello SWB, but can't seem to get lucky enough to track them down, I would highly recommend giving the Marlow a shot (if, in fact, you are willing to go to a darker brown).

I went TTS. The fit is somewhat similar to the Tremont.

A good weekend to one and all.

11. fredmull

fredmull Well-Known Member

SLAB, those are beautiful. Props to the cobblers. Also, the darkening of the leather looks awesome. What color of polish do you use?

12. sevenfoldtieguy

well done

13. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

Cigar chukkas from Alden Madison Avenue (fourth wear)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chukkas don't a lot of love on this thread, but these and my whiskey chukkas are my most complimented Alden shoes. Chukkas really highlight the appeal of cordovan

14. blue collar

blue collar Distinguished Member

Nothing special, but found these today on my girlfrien's computer from a wedding back in August.

[​IMG]

Maybe not the best sock/suit combo (stripes on stripes) :embar:

15. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Distinguished Member

The Darlton is an incredible shoe - I'd recommend it even over most Alden longwings/shortwings

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.