• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone dealt with Sky Valet? There's some cheap whiskey.

Yes. Last bought C&J Drummunds from them. Have also purchased Alden shells from them.

Purchased whiskey PTBs from them some time ago only to learn a handful of days later that they didn't actually have my size in stock (as the webpage said they did).

Decent place.

poena

Reaction score

They sometimes, although rarely, send you a giftcard in the mail if you have been a customer in the past but haven't bought in a while and are on their mailing list.

I think I got a $25. giftcard with a 'we miss you' greeting card in the mail, and bought my Color 8 Cap Toe boots for a discount using that. 

well I've never gotten such a thing. Or I may have tossed it.

I think I've decided on the Jcrew Cap Toes. Shoe Mart doesn't have anything like it. A few similar items though. Still deciding.

I'm just worried about getting the width correct.
I fill up width wise my Indy boots. I have pretty flat feet and they are a bit wide. I wear 8.5 Indys. Would going with 8.5 for the Barrie last be good? Size up to 9 or just go to 8.5E?

Thanks

blue collar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

First few steps in new cigar cap toe (plaza) from TSM 2nd's list. Had a crease on the right shoe when I gottem'. The plaza is such a refined, sleek last (in the world of orthopedics). Perfect for chinos and suits (unlike #8 barries) Ecstatic about these.

Those are beautiful. Other than a crease, what was wrong with them that caused Alden to make them 2nds?

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also got an email from Shoe Mart stating that my order for the #4 captoe boot has been cancelled due to lack of supply of upper leather.

What other options are out there for captoe shell Alden boots in color 8? I'm aware of JCrew, any others?

lagsun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think I've decided on the Jcrew Cap Toes. Shoe Mart doesn't have anything like it. A few similar items though. Still deciding.
I fill up width wise my Indy boots. I have pretty flat feet and they are a bit wide. I wear 8.5 Indys. Would going with 8.5 for the Barrie last be good? Size up to 9 or just go to 8.5E?
Thanks

Sounds like 8.5D in Barrie will be fines too. Plus J.Crew has a decent return policy.

I also got an email from Shoe Mart stating that my order for the #4 captoe boot has been cancelled due to lack of supply of upper leather.

What other options are out there for captoe shell Alden boots in color 8?  I'm aware of JCrew, any others?

Call Kathy at Alden of DC. I got my #8 Captoe (and Cigar as well) boots on Grant last with commando sole from her.

ElDave

Reaction score

Thanks

For what it's worth, I am normally an E width and I fill up every bit of the width in my Indy boots. I purchased a few D width Barrie-lasted shoes and, while they are fine at the beginning of the day, they are uncomfortable by the end. If you are a true E width, the D width Barrie will not work for you. I also have an E width barrie, which fits great in the forefoot but a bit poorly in the heel (unless I wear very cushioned socks).

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What other options are out there for captoe shell Alden boots in color 8?  I'm aware of JCrew, any others?

The Shoe Mart, Alden SF, Alden DC, Alden NYC all stock color 8 captoe boots.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For what it's worth, I am normally an E width and I fill up every bit of the width in my Indy boots. I purchased a few D width Barrie-lasted shoes and, while they are fine at the beginning of the day, they are uncomfortable by the end. If you are a true E width, the D width Barrie will not work for you. I also have an E width barrie, which fits great in the forefoot but a bit poorly in the heel (unless I wear very cushioned socks).

I'm a pretty true E width (I measure 10 E/F on Brannock), but I can wear 10D in Barrie and Trubalance comfortably (My "true" size in these lasts is 9.5E). I can't wear a 9.5D Barrie/Trubalance or a 10D Grant/Aberdeen/Tremont comfortably, though.

jacksh

Reaction score
Hello, first time posting pictures.
Jack

PartagasIV

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that the Leather Soul makeup, flex welt snuff suede? I have the same boots, love them.

g.michael

Reaction score
Does anyone wear tassel loafers these days, (Uncle Mac notwithstanding)? Thinking of getting the BB cordovan tassels. I like the full strap loafer but after trying a couple different sizes, the Aberdeen last does not work for me with a vamp that low (heel slip). Thought maybe the higher vamp tassels would be a good trade. But tassels?

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone wear tassel loafers these days, (Uncle Mac notwithstanding)? Thinking of getting the BB cordovan tassels. I like the full strap loafer but after trying a couple different sizes, the Aberdeen last does not work for me with a vamp that low (heel slip). Thought maybe the higher vamp tassels would be a good trade. But tassels?

I've decided to stick to penny loafers myself, but I've seen a few non-mac posts with tassels here. Not as common as the LHS though.

poena

Reaction score

Thanks for the insight.
I'll try out the D width and see how it goes.

I just don't want the bulge on the side of the shoes where my foot pushes the leather out. ..some cases beyond the sole.
I've noticed it happening on a few other shoes :brick:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads