***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai

Kai Senior member

As long as you're careful, I can't see how this could hurt.

2. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I personally like the black edge trim better even for a casual boot in color 8, but that's just me. Looks like that process of sanding and changing the edge color works well. If I remember correctly though, you may need to have someone professionally change the color of the top of the edge as sanding only gets the side. You may also have an issue of "re-sealing" the edge. Good luck and show us some pics when you're done! That should make for an interesting look with the J Crew Cap toe boot.

3. sfactor23

sfactor23 Senior member

wear them in good health -
    by the way, the Bureau's Kudu boots are really good, imho - they are my go-to boot

4. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LS Ranger Shoe with some miles on 'em.

5. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

Excellent results have been reported earlier in this thread with using an alcohol swab or similar to remove the edge finish--honestly seems easier than sanding to me. (Either way, you risk damaging the uppers, but only if you are careless.)

6. stevent

stevent Senior member

7. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I will definitely research the swab method because a previous post said the sanding took a lot of elbow grease. But I can imagine with the swab approach one needs to be really careful.

You are right to bring up the top of the edging. I had planned to just leave the top as is and see if it bothered me before doing anything about it. Interestingly enough, the pics of the #8 LWB's a few posts back seem to have antique edging but with the top looking quite dark. But maybe that was just the picture.

Thanks to both of you for your input. I will post before and after pics.

8. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

[​IMG]

2nd journey of my cigar LWB from Alden SF. My first shells [​IMG]
    I'm seeing a slight whitening of the leather in creases. I heard about that sometime ago, but can't recall what that was about. Is it something normal, or should it be treated in some way?

9. stevent

stevent Senior member

wax just brush it away

10. violethour1951

violethour1951 Senior member

Those look outstanding with the denim! Almost Ravello-toned [​IMG] Enjoy!

11. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

Question--- I also am expecting delivery of some shell burgundy Dalton's soon. Both of these boots seem to have black sole edge dressing. Unionmade has a makeup of a #8 WT boot with antique edge dressing which I think looks stunning. So I was considering taking one of these pairs and sanding off the black dressing and applying some AE chili edge dressing. There have been some posts of how to do this.

The J Crew boots were my candidate since doing this, I think, makes the boots more casual. The Barrie last is chunkier looking than the AE Dalton silhouette so I'd keep the Dalton's as is for dressier wear. Opinions?

to the above wondering about changing edge trim/welt on the jcrew perf cap toe boots in #8, here are mine.

there is another pair on this forum somewhere that I think were executed even better...i thin it was a reverse welt and topy'd commando sole

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  12. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I was waiting at a gate at DFW, wearing my natty CXL Indy boots (modified last from Moulded Shoe) when a stranger comes up to me and asks where I got my boots. I thought he was one of us addicted ones but I don't think he even what Alden was. I have to say that of all my boots, these get the most looks. It might be just the contrast of the lighter colored boots against the dark denim. I'm hoping it's not because I somehow look funny!! :embar::embar:

13. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Thanks for sharing your Chorizo-ized boots. Yes ideally, I'd send the boots as soon as I got them to B Nelson and have them replace the welting with antiqued edging, top included. I'd have to think whether I'd want split reverse welting.

However, I think I'm going to try to do what I can myself at the beginning. Did you do that work yourself? Even the top of the edging? Because it looks quite light.

14. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Funny - I'm thinking about making the edge trim on a pair of ravello chukkas darker...

15. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I've gotten numerous strangers asking me about my lighter colored boots (405s and natural CXL cap toes). I think the quality is apparen and the lighter color looks more noticeable. Think - most lighter color boots are tan Timberland work boots or similar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.