1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Only reason why the heel/sole may look clunky is because the shoe is sleeker which sort of accentuates the sole.

The sole is no more clunky than an Alden and in fact much sleeker and less bulky than my 975s for example.

2. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

to each their own guys. it's not worth arguing. a barrie last LWB is as about as sleek as a brick. it doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the design, but there is no point in trying to say the sky is green.

3. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

The Marlow isn't "sleek" but the toe has more of a taper to it than Barrie longwings. That, combined with the dark edge trim and the "cleaner" shortwing pattern (versus the longwing) make it 100% suitworthy IMO (where as longwings may be 75% there, depending on the color). The fact that the shoe is also so robust also makes it denim worthy. This is why I think this style is the most versatile in the wingtip family (whether made by Alden, RL, Church's, Edward Green, whatever)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  4. phototristan

Interesting pic perhaps.

Here's my Alden 975 and Marlow side by side. These are both the same size:

[​IMG]

I posted in the RL thread how I cannot believe one could wear the same size in both shoes. The Marlows fit me perfect and most of my Alden 8.5'Ds are too big (I'm selling them all and will re-buy at 8D).

1 person likes this.
  5. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I wear 9.5E in Barrie and I wear a 10D in the Marlow. My Marlows were very tight initially (uncomfortably so), but on the advice of the RL SA I kept the 10D. I think that they "break in" a bit more than some Aldens. After the extremely stiff sole was broken in and my feet sank a bit into the corkbed, my Marlows fit like a glove (a bit snugger than my longwings, but still very comfortable). The RL stores in London apparently sell an E width in this shoe. If I ever replace my current pair I will investigate that EDIT - That said, I tried this same break-in method with a pair of the Marlow penny loafers and was unsuccessful, so I had to sell them. I'd likely have to get 10.5D in those if I try again. It's a shame because they were a great color

6. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

This is a discussion forum. You will learn to conform!

This makes me sad. I wonder if I would have gone with the smaller size if they would have eventually broken in? Regardless, I still wear mine all the time. I wear them out to places I have no business wearing them, like dive bars and fantasy football drafts.

7. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Alcibiades, were the Marlow penny's different enough from Alden's LHS to make them worth a look?

8. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I can't wear cordovan LHS due to my high instep, so I can't really comment from experience. The Marlow pennys look similar to the Alden full straps, but with a much higher vamp (similar to an LHS). I would just view it as another color option for a cordovan loafer. I would say the same thing about the tassel loafers (I have not tried on the PTB).

9. phototristan

Does anyone know how the shell Chukka (Barrie last) fits compared to the shell LWB (also Barrie)? Are they about the same?

10. imolazhp_ci

imolazhp_ci Senior member

i wonder if this is actually true since E width is the UK equivalent to a US D. E is the standard UK width.

11. asaa1000

asaa1000 Senior member

whats the typical discount for seconds?

12. phototristan

Prices typically are:

$399. for shell cordovan
    $299 for non shell.

13. Hermitedge

Hermitedge Senior member

14. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I can tell you the Barrie Chukka fits identical to my Barrie boots if that helps?

15. phototristan

It does, thanks.

16. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

17. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

18. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

19. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Why would anyone find shoes that have been referred to as "gunboats" for at least 50 years "clunky" ? I say 50 years because thats what my dad called his Florsheims. It could be longer.

20. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.