1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

While conceivably possible, it is gambling. B. Nelson is the best shoe repair shop in that they use lasts during resoling to maintain proper shape (rather than the flat piece of steel that most repair shops stick the shoe on), but they aren't the original lasts. There is a chance that the size could be adversely effected in unintended ways just like when you try to stretch a shoe.

2. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Looks pretty good here. I believe you also wear whiskey cap toe bals with denim?

3. hypomnema

hypomnema Senior member

[​IMG]

Ravello LWVB's arrived from DC. Some serious creasing on the right shoe. Oh well. Don't think I can complain. Joe told me there was slight wear in the right shoe over the phone .. Fast delivery too.

2 people like this.
  4. Don L

Don L Senior member

#8 Monks today

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

If you don't really care about the speedhooks and like the perf design on the J Crew model, I'd go with it. I'm a big fan. The other issue is availability; you might have to go with whichever one you can get your hands on in your size.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  6. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I have the same shoe in whiskey. It is on the Tremont last, and I have a good amount more creasing (similar to your pic) than I would like. I do not believe it is because of the shoe being too large, at least in my case. The length and width are perfect, but there is an area above my foot, an inch or so beyond where the shoelaces begin (not sure what this part of the shoe anatomy is called), throat or vamp... anyways, this region is roomy inside and may cause more creasing. I'm not sure a more narrow size would work for me though. I think the Tremont is just a less desirable last. Still love this particular shoe. I have learned to embrace the creasing as Shawnw suggested. [​IMG]

7. dusttruffle

dusttruffle Senior member

Dear Internet,

Please cease presenting me with shell chukka's, my resistance is waning and i would really rather not stretch my credit.

Best Regards,

Me

8. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

+1 on the J Crew boots. I'm also a big fan. When hunting for shell availability is a key factor when making a decision.

9. herrmj

herrmj Senior member

Very happy unionmade resurrected the winn perry little tank in the hawes boot. My first crepe sole and it is very comfortable.
    The reverse oiled chamois smells amazing out of the box, would kop that fragrance.

1 person likes this.
  10. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

quick question about the J Crew perf captoe boot, do you guys size the same as other Barrie boots or different? I thought I saw some discussion around this recently.

11. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Same.

12. Hill

Hill Senior member

Nice pickup. That boot is going to look so rad with age.

13. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

You sir always have fantastic style.
    The #1 Shell Alden IMO.:slayer:

14. phototristan

Here you go:

15. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Excellent video as usual. I'd be very interested to hear about the camcorder you use in these videos, which always look great.

16. phototristan

Thanks. I've shot some of these with a point and shoot believe it or not. It's all about good lighting. That said, this one was shot with the Canon XA10.

17. Hill

Hill Senior member

Thanks for posting this. Is the bottom of the sole painted/stained that color or is it on the flex welt? The latter would explain the color.

18. phototristan

Stained double leather sole, AFAIK. Reminds me of the sole on my RL Marlows.

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

[​IMG]

Took the bus into the city from the airport and saw a gentlemen wearing an Alden NST. Thought they may have been Carmina as I'm in Barcelona but the two look identical. Was too slow with the camera however.

20. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Quote:Yes I have the Alden chukka in Ravello and all 5 shell colors of shell in the Dundee. Side by side you would be hard pressed to tell the difference with the exception of the 2 eyes vs. 3. The #1 last of the Dundee is slightly sleeker but not as much as I would have thought. Dropping down a half size from my TTS on the Barrie they fit similar, but of course with a lot more room in the heels of the Alden's. Slight heel lift but acceptable. Welt, heel and shape is very similar. Except the dovetail in the heel of the Alden looks like it was hand cut by a third grader and there is a large gap in it on the exposed edge of the heel. I plan on replacing the soles on them with commando and vibram heel anyhow so not a big deal to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.