***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

In my brief time on this thread, I've always been happy to see Mac's posts. If you don't feel he contributes, then you can block his posts from your feed. I'm not saying this to be combative or to provoke, just as a practical suggestion that would save us the need to discuss a member's merits unnecessarily, in my view, and while he isn't even here.

For a photo, here's a not terribly good shot of the #8 LHS I picked up at the Nettleton Shop a few weeks ago. Been wearing them around the office for a slow break-in, and the Van last in 11D seems to be working out well so far.

[​IMG]

2. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

The only issue, and it's not even an issue, really, is that sometimes it feels as if I've stumbled onto a private conversation posted in public by accident. Anyway, less talk, more aldens.

3. grendel

grendel Senior member

Speaking of socks... The pics here usually have really nice argyle socks. What's a good place to get said socks (to wear with my Aldens, to keep this on topic)?

4. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Mac saved my life, you know.
    Thirty years ago. I was knifed at a bazaar in Calcutta, and he carried me to the hospital on his back.

5. FrankCowperwood

I like Marcoliani personally. The brand offers both both cotton and merino argyles, OTC and shorter (whatever the abbreviation for that is). O'Connell's in Buffalo has a nice selection (http://shop.oconnellsclothing.com), along with reasonable and speedy shipping. I think you can find them from a variety of other sources online as well.

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

love this look. how did you size your pair? tts or size down? this pair isnt from BB is it?

7. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

Very nice loafers Frank Cowperwood! Tried that same loafer (Van 11D) on here in Tokyo. Too small.......indeed too small to even get a bead on the Van.

8. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Make it Toronto next round and i'll be there haha!

9. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

"who stabbed you?"
    "he did"

10. FrankCowperwood

Thanks.

Sized TTS. They are tight, but in a completely comfortable way. The length is good, there's no gap around the foot, and no undue pressure on the instep as some have reported. I'm assuming that once I wear them in a bit, they are going to be quite comfortable.

Not from BB. These are the official 986 lined LHSs. Bought them in a shop in Pittsburgh while there on business. Didn't want to get an LHS until I could try them on for size and then was happy to buy them then from this small shop. And no sales tax in PA... :)

Can't imagine that you'd be able to fit 11D van, from what I know. I like the very upright toe box on these. Kept seeing shots on this thread and I finally felt like I understood what the Alden LHS is all about. Alden's really is a classic version.

11. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

I'm going to have to try this shoe in the 10E unlined version from Brooks Brothers. I have 10D unlined suede loafers that fit well (with some initial pressure on the instep). Going E should help me with the stiffer leather...

12. ubiquiti

ubiquiti Well-Known Member

Where do you think the term "Mac method" was coined?

13. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

LOL, I died.

I love the pictures Mac contributes of every shape, style, colour, giving us a real-life reference that's not a stock photo.

However, I am not big on shoes decades old looking brand new, devoid of character. To each their own.

14. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

Has anyone ordered aldens from frans boone (in netherlands) with delivery to the us? I have ups trying to deliver a pair of shell cordovan boots. The tracking number indicates that first delivery attempt was made but driver was unable to collect funds, since i was not home. Im wondering how much $$ they plan to take me for. I was hoping i could avoid the custom fee since its a us product but maybe not?

Im starting to think that buying aldens from international vendors is foolish when you account for shipping+customs+lousy exchange rate on us dollar.....

Anyone have any experience here?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

15. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

not I personally, but a couple pages back there was discussion about this vendor, with some buyers being hit for customs fees and some sneaking by..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.