Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CharlieAngel

CharlieAngel Senior member

Good post, Cousin!

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

shut your face

3. bl@ster

[email protected] Senior member

The schtick does get a little old but he has some nice socks. My first thought was: "how is this f'n guy related to so many people?!"

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

4. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

You can't help but respect him simply for the fact that he has so many Aldens. Also, his shine is pretty much unmattched.

But I see what you are saying, it's not like I can't get through the day without him. However, I did notice almost right away when he became absent.

5. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

It's because he has forgotten more about shell cordovan than most of us will ever learn.

It's because he loves shoes, perhaps more than any of the rest of us.

It's because he is to our little sartorial sub-interest what Arthur Sackler was to the world of Chinese antiquities.

His presence enriches our community. His absence diminishes it.

That is why everyone is so attached to him.

6. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

:mad:

Trust me, this is a battle you can't win

Mac has been helpful to me over PM, posts great photos of cordovan models, etc. Honestly, his cordovan shoe photos on this forum and others have probably helped a lot of people catch the Alden bug over the past few years - I am one of them. He's pretty influential

7. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

mac and i have pretty different taste in shoes (aside from the fact that we both wear aldens) but you gotta respect the fact that his mac method has become the de facto SOP for shell care.

plus i like the fact that he always lets us know that yes, his socks do indeed go over the calf.

8. sazon

sazon Senior member

Uncle Mac is a true gentleman in every sense of the word, and then some. We are privileged to have him here with us.

9. 11B1P

11B1P New Member

Hello fellow Aldenians! This is my first post on SF so I figure I'll share some camera phone pics of my first pair of Alden's #8 LWB 8D with the antique edging. Sorry the picture quality is not great, and they are do for a good shine as I have only wore them a couple of times (still breaking them in). I picked them up online from The Bureau at Belfast - Merchants & Missionaries. http://www.thebureaubelfast.com/shop/brand/58/alden/ for approximately $850 after shipping and currency conversion ( I know it's a little pricey but I really wanted the antique edge trim from Alden. There are still a couple of sizes left too! I'm already shopping for my 2nd pair of Aldens, I'm hooked!! Looking at #8 or cigar cap toe boots, jumpers, or tankers (if I'm lucky enough!).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. closerlook

closerlook Senior member

well, first that's not really correct. Mcarthur has responded to questions with insight and experience both on the forum and by PM.
    also, mac-method.
    totally nice guy.
    and he does what this thread does best, which is show pictures of awesome alden shoes...

11. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

I think what Mac provides for this thread, aside from the standard for shell care, the wonderful pics of an awesome collection, and the simple words of congratulations and encouragement of our newest additions to our Alden collections, is a level of class and civility. He does in fact offer advice to questions regarding size, care, appropriate use of particular styles and shell colors, and other inquiries. However, the simplicity of his entries and the lack of emotional/rash response helps to keep us grounded in decency. I've gone back and read posts from years ago (presumably before Mac became a regular here) and was shocked to read the number of rude, obnoxious, profane, and abusive attacks people would make. I'm not saying he is completely responsible for the absence of those types of posts, but he certainly helps to set the tone of calm and civil discourse. I've seen very little of the mean-spirited back and forth recently. I've seen some instances where some have tried to get Mac to add to the insults and humiliation of others on posts, but he has never sunk that low (at least as far back as I have read). While I am pretty new to posting and interacting here, I've been reading for more than a year now. This is what I find most valuable about Mac's contributions.

12. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Well said.

13. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

+1

14. sazon

sazon Senior member

Amen to that. Very well said.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Mac is a very decent man, both on this thread, and elsewhere. While I have never met him in person, I have shared numerous emails (started as PM's) with him - regarding Aldens, career, family, etc. - and, to that extent, have gotten to know him.

He has many Alden models many of us don't have and, quite frankly, many models many of us have never seen (at least not in person).

His civility is to be admired.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.