***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    burgundy nst

2. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

[​IMG]
    burgundy nst

You're pictures always make me think you're getting ready to hit the links at St. Andrews.

[​IMG]

3. gnatty8

gnatty8 Senior member

4. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

You're pictures always make me think you're getting ready to hit the links at St. Andrews.

[​IMG]

one of my favorite golf courses

5. Ahab

Ahab Senior member

Leather Soul orders are custom, right?

I think it would be fair to say you could consider that the special store makeups are custom but then a lot of the shoes we speak about in this thread are custom too making the point moot. All the Cigar, Whiskey and Ravello would be considered custom as well as most of the shoes from the small boutiques such as Leather Soul.

6. Racing Green

Racing Green Senior member

For anyone needing to clean their unlined chukkas...

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

If I hadn't just seen that with my own eyes I would never have thought that was possible.

7. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

I think it would be fair to say you could consider that the special store makeups are custom but then a lot of the shoes we speak about in this thread are custom too making the point moot. All the Cigar, Whiskey and Ravello would be considered custom as well as most of the shoes from the small boutiques such as Leather Soul.

Your points are true, but the 'standard' PTBs for Alden are the 990 (#8), 9901 (black), 9905 (Whiskey) and 9900 (Ravello), 93911 (Cigar), all of which are on the Barrie. That was the path I was taking. You can get it on other lasts, but in such situations they would be custom.

8. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    cigar lwb

9. humeee

humeee Member

So my first pair of Alden's arrived today. They're easily the most awesome things I've ever put on my feet.

Two quick questions. First, I'm addicted and already need my next fix. I appear to be a solid 10 in the Barrie last, does this mean that I'm probably a 10 in the Trubalance last as well? According to Alden of Carmel, they both run about a half size big, but the website doesn't detail if they're different in other ways (e.g. if the Trubalance is more narrow or something). I think I need to get a pair of Indy's asap.

Second, where do you guys buy your shoe trees?

10. b-ill

b-ill Senior member

Just received these in the mail - LSH Cognac Longwing (soft calfskin, oiled leather sole). The leather is like butter. [​IMG]

11. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

So my first pair of Alden's arrived today. They're easily the most awesome things I've ever put on my feet.

Two quick questions. First, I'm addicted and already need my next fix. I appear to be a solid 10 in the Barrie last, does this mean that I'm probably a 10 in the Trubalance last as well? According to Alden of Carmel, they both run about a half size big, but the website doesn't detail if they're different in other ways (e.g. if the Trubalance is more narrow or something). I think I need to get a pair of Indy's asap.

Yes. Rule of thumb is you take the same size in Trubalance as you do on the Barrie.

12. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Yes. I think the Barrie might be a bit wider but not enough to matter to me at least.

13. redcybot

redcybot Member

The same cedar shoetrees that Alden sells (minus the Alden medallion) I have bought at Nordstrom Rack for about $10-14, I think. I have a pair of Alden badged trees and 2 pair of the Nordstrom trees and they really do appear to be the same thing and the Nordstrom trees are much cheaper.

14. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

The same cedar shoetrees that Alden sells (minus the Alden medallion) I have bought at Nordstrom Rack for about $10-14, I think. I have a pair of Alden badged trees and 2 pair of the Nordstrom trees and they really do appear to be the same thing and the Nordstrom trees are much cheaper.

The Nordstrom ones are different from the Alden ones. The heel piece of the Alden trees is a different shape. Probably not a difference that matters especially when considering the price, but they aren't the same.

The Nordstrom Rack ones do appear to be the same as the ones from the Nordstrom mainline stores except for the Nordstrom badge. For that matter, they appear to be the same as some Grapevinehill ones I got a while ago.

15. greekgeek

greekgeek Senior member

The Nordstrom ones are different from the Alden ones. The heel piece of the Alden trees is a different shape. Probably not a difference that matters especially when considering the price, but they aren't the same.

The Nordstrom Rack ones do appear to be the same as the ones from the Nordstrom mainline stores except for the Nordstrom badge. For that matter, they appear to be the same as some Grapevinehill ones I got a while ago.

AE, Nordies, GVH use Woodlore trees, Alden uses Rochester.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.