***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

I am a bit new to shoes but I have grown very, very fond of Aldens. I have some cigar LWBs and just bought the 403. I always hear that color 8 is the most versatile, but I don't own color 8 nor can I see that being true (through my novice eyes). I am a college student, who typically wears dark denim/chinos/button downs. Does it still work so well for my situation?

2. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Yes absolutely. Color 8 matches just about everything, with the possible exception of black pants, though I've been known to wear them with black slacks given the right outfit. You can wear Color 8 with denim, grays, navys, olives, khakis, earth tones, you name it.

3. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Hm, I considering I own the cigar and Indy, do you think a color 8 option is a good choice? I'm trying to feed my budding shoe addiction here :p

4. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

And, where are my manners, thank you very much for your response!!!

5. stevent

stevent Senior member

Color 8 matches well with everything, but for me I've never been a fan of burgundy. Got the 975s as well as the lhs in #8 and ended up selling both as I didn't find the color pleasant. What area do you go to school? Personally I think ravello or C&J brown would be a better fit. Didn't see anybody wearing any burgundy in college ever.

6. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

There is a bit more #8 then, I guess get what you like, all Alden colors will match pretty well and be useful for you if you're building up a collection

8. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

I think it would fit in given the location, too. I'm a huge fan of Alden. Sadly, my wallet isn't. Anybody want a dog? JK he's awesome, coulnd't do that

9. ubiquiti

ubiquiti Well-Known Member

I remember your post. Did you ever get that issue fixed?

Also I ordered half a size down from my Grant size. Fit is quite similar with the color 8 Indy a tad bit roomier.

10. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Color 8 matches everything cigar does...but color 8 also goes with charcoal.

11. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Cigar is a great color, and one of my favorites, but the continuum of what matches with it is only a subset of that which matches Color 8. Don't get me wrong - cigar has a ton of versatility, more than most colors out there, but not quite to the extent of color 8. The Indy, as you know, describes a boot, not a color, so not sure if it's a relevant factor.

Since you're on a budget, my recommendation would be to get either the LWB of PTB in color 8, and then build the collection from there. Trade the dog in for some horsehide [​IMG]

12. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Haha :)

Yup I meant cigar LWB, sorry! It's so beautiful. I saw all these pictures up here and I had to have it.

13. heterophilous

heterophilous Well-Known Member

one other retailer that carries aldens besides nro, tannery, j. crew, and barney's is mr. sid's in newton . . . similar stock to tannery and nro, but there's lots of other stuff in the suiting / apparel section that makes a visit worthwhile . . .

14. Tommi

Tommi Senior member

Somebody should sell me size 10.5 or 11 D (or E) Barrie-lasted Alden shoes. Anyone?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

15. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Worth a re-viewing from time to time:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.