***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Thanks everyone for your input. I had forgotten I could check J Crew and Barneys as well. I know all the concerns about web orders from NRO but I recall someone saying their focus is really their B&M store and that it is a pretty nice store. I've also read some pretty negative reviews on the Tannery. But you have to take some of those with a grain of salt.

2. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

NRO has a nice retail space, but remember that the mail order is still the same management as the B&M. (although they claim their orders are fulfilled from their "warehouse", which seems to be a fancy name for the stockroom off the floor of the retail space...)

I'll never give them a $, sale or otherwise.

Tannery sales staff is high pressure and obnoxious as hell, but Jason and Brad in the Wilderness Workshop are aces. Even though it seems all Alden stock is carried upstairs in the Tannery I'd recommend popping downstairs to the WW and seeing if any of them can help you. Those dudes actually wear/love Aldens and are vastly more knowledgeable than the Prada and Magli clad guys upstairs.

3. ubiquiti

ubiquiti Well-Known Member

Alden SF has a full size run of them

4. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Thanks, zazaza. Input is very much appreciated. I will seek out Jason/Brad when I get there next week. I am even tempted to take the train (or get there somehow/rent a car) to Norwalk CT to the Shoemart, but that's probably pushing it. Also going to check out the AE stores in Boston.

5. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Do you mean in just color 8?

6. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

You are welcome. Not sure what you're after but I'd recommend checking out Ball and Buck (its on Datmouth, right off Newbury, right down the st from Tannery and near Copley) everything they carry is made in the USA and it's a pretty well curated shop.
    No Aldens, but a good run of Rancourts and they just released their collabo with Allen Edmonds of the Neumora. (it's pretty sharp, but a grip over retail on the regular neumora you can buy at AE further down Newburry st.) If you need any other boston-centric recs I'm happy to oblige.

btw, the shoemart is sweet, but the retail space is nothing to write home about and I wouldn't recommend driving all the way from boston unless you're on your way to NYC.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012

7. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

What size AE shoe trees would you recommend for 10D Indy's?

8. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

The AE size guide puts a 10D (probably 10.5D TTS) on the cusp of a M and a L. So you'd best see if someone with your exact size in the Indy's (TB last I assume) responds.

9. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Good input on TSM. Their online selection is so extensive I would have thought their retail store would be pretty nice. That'll save me a disappointing trip there this time. I'll try to hit it up next time I'm back east and have more time. And thanks for the tip on Ball & Buck. I've read good things about them here on SF.

10. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

it's a bit funky. I heard somebody using a medium tree on the 10D barrie lasted shoe; however, I use L on my 10.5 AEs, so I'd figure using L since 10.5D AE and 10D Barrie/TB are pretty similar

11. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Not sure it'll be of any help, but I am pleased with size L in my 10.5D Indy. If it was a narrower last, I'd be more concerned, but the TB has a lot of volume.

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

It's quite a bit cheaper if you order from Paris. I saw a superb ravello PT boot at the same shop, $1800. It sells for about $1000 direct from Anatomica Paris. I'd say the navy Indy boot would be around $800 plus shipping if they have it.

13. CTYGGG

CTYGGG Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cigar LWB & EP with Argyles OTC

14. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

gorgeous.
    I need some cigar.

15. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Today: wore my favorite Alden make-up of all time - Color 8 shell straight cap toe boot with all eyelets, Grant last
    [​IMG]
    and came back to my apartment to these.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks J. Gilbert and Yenni!

Congrats--they look awesome! I got the cigar version and fit and finish were perfect (except for the "Made for Tassels by Alden" heel pad as I got them from JGilbert). i am thinking about the color 8 makeup for the next run.
    Did you order the same size as your Grant captoe boots? how does fit compare?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.