• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sfactor23

Reaction score
On Alden Commando Sole...does anyone know where to get these resoled. BNelson does a full commando...not the Alden Style one. Anywhere else good besides sending back to Alden for the Alden style half sole and heel commando. thanks...JT

Moulded Shoes in NYC offers the Alden sole - however, I wouldn't recommend them: they screwed up the stitching on top on the two pairs of boots I sent them, the stitching looks like crap - and it was quite expensive to begin with ($180 a pair) - I swallowed and took it because I didn't have the confidence they'd fix it correctly - I'm hoping that, down the road when they need to be resoled, Alden will fix the screw up - I'll buy shoes from Moulded Shoes, but no way am I bringing them work to fix ever again.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure actually. I didn't ask, but my guess would be around $1200.

I had occasion to stop in at Anatomica in Tokyo. I noticed this suede makeup which they call "navy blue" but the color seems to be deeper and have a touch of sea green when viewed in natural light. Modified last.

So nice. What was price? $900ish?

sellran

Reaction score
curious how the AE #8 looks in real life, got any pics you can post? I'm trying to match a belt to a couple pr of alden #8 that are definitely more on the eggplant end of the spectrum, but am finding most online vendors pics of #8 belts tend to be more burgundy

I have a pair of Aldens in #8 that are purple (light eggplant) in bright sunlight. I can't imagine finding a belt to perfectly match them. In most light no one will ever notice the difference between my shoes and the Allen Edmonds belt.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Today was the maiden voyage of the Bureau's Snuff Suede Moc Toe.  I had absolutely no delivery/customs problems with the Bureau and the shoes arrived in about 2 days -- a pleasant surprise.  

I have something very similar from The Shoe Mart and they probably get worn more often than any of my other Aldens. They are super comfortable and work great with whatever I wear on the weekends and whatever I normally wear to the office (unless it's a day I need a suit).

ElDave

Reaction score

I had occasion to stop in at Anatomica in Tokyo.  I noticed this suede makeup which they call "navy blue" but the color seems to be deeper and have a touch of sea green when viewed in natural light. Modified last.

Holy moly. I want these. It really sucked that Leffot had a great blue suede Indy...and then put it on a red brick sole. If it was on ANY other sole, I would've purchased it. And I'd love these, but $1200 ain't happening.

curious how the AE #8 looks in real life, got any pics you can post? I'm trying to match a belt to a couple pr of alden #8 that are definitely more on the eggplant end of the spectrum, but am finding most online vendors pics of #8 belts tend to be more burgundy

It's amazing how much variance these things have. My JCrew color 8 cap toe boots are straight up purple in sunlight, whereas my color 8 LWB stays the deep eggplant color. Going with an AE belt is risky... I had a pair of burgundy cordovan Leeds that were straight up red in sunlight - not even remotely similar to color 8. Of course, mileage varies.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My search for retail stores in Boston carrying Alden returned only NRO and The Tannery. Anybody know of other places? I guess I could check out Brooks Bros, also.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My search for retail stores in Boston carrying Alden returned only NRO and The Tannery. Anybody know of other places? I guess I could check out Brooks Bros, also.

Is the tannery in cambridge? I know of a place in cambridge and "the tannery" rings a bell

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The J. Crew CXL 405 is actually the 403, correct?

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of Aldens in #8 that are purple (light eggplant) in bright sunlight. I can't imagine finding a belt to perfectly match them. In most light no one will ever notice the difference between my shoes and the Allen Edmonds belt.
Not even my Alden #8 Belt is a good match for my Alden #8 shoes. The belt is more on the brownish side of things. The color also varies significantly across the belt, as it is made of 3 separate pieces of shell.

Not complaining, still happy with it. Just sharing my experience.

I also have cigar shoes and belt. Closer match, but still no where near perfect. The belts seem to have a flatter finish compared to the sheen you'll get on shell shoes.

REguy

Reaction score
Is the tannery in cambridge? I know of a place in cambridge and "the tannery" rings a bell

The Tannery has stores in Harvard Square (Cambridge) and downtown on Boylston Street. Prices are full retail. You used to able to haggle them down, but they've stopped doing that. The selection in Harvard Sq is basically LWBs, PTBs, unlined chukkas, LHSs, and NSTs. They only have black and 8 shell as well as some calf. The selection at their Boylston store is more extensive but still nothing beyond the usual basics.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My search for retail stores in Boston carrying Alden returned only NRO and The Tannery.  Anybody know of other places?  I guess I could check out Brooks Bros, also.

The J Crew Mens store in Copley has aldens as well, and Barneys has some also.

I spoke with a new retailer in the back bay area who said they want to carry Aldens but apparently they have a policy about how many stores in a given area can carry their shoes.
I thought it was BS, but when you think about it Brooks bros + J crew + Tannery + Barneys = 4 stores in a 4 block radius.

edit: As for the Tannery on Boylston; their make-ups are all pretty much stock but once in awhile they carry collabs with the Wilderness Workshop downstairs (so I've been told)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads