***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meso

meso Senior member

I have a pair. What are your concerns?

2. makewayhomer

makewayhomer Senior member

when there are 8 inches of snow on the ground, and ankle high slush puddles...you're basically a fool to be walking around in anything but true winter waterproof/insulated boots. as has been said many times, any smooth sole like the classic Indy sole is useless on snow/ice. might as well be leather.

that said, there are only a handful of those days a year. last winter there was one where I actually needed my Bean boots. but you'll need to be prepared with something you're ok with in snow storms.

3. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Just a PSA for anyone who orders from JCrew.com, created an account at FatWallet.com and then you can get 3% cashback on your purchases (they pay you via PayPal):

http://www.fatwallet.com/?referral=phototristan

(search J Crew there)

This is in addition to any cashback that you may already get via a cash rewards credit card. ;)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

4. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Just curious about how the leather/sole holds up, and any other feedback you may have.

5. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Haha oh man can't wait for those days!

So you'd recommend the Indys and that they are okay for most weather conditions with proper preventative Maintenence, yet grab ugly and cheap boots for those real bad days?

6. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

IMO the Indys can handle any day you throw at them without issue, particularly if you have the appropriate sole. There is no need for beaters. Indys ARE beaters. And I speak from Calgary; it hits -30 every winter where I live for weeks.

7. 1965

1965 Member

So I went ahead with the Indy 403 resole. The cobbler ended up stitching the right shoe's welt pretty funky, but I guess that gives it more character, right? Overall, I'm happy to give new life to my favorite boots. The only real issue so far is that the new thicker lug-soles they don't fit in my bike's toe clips anymore.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Forgive me if this has been covered before, but can products like Montana Pitch Blend be used on Kudu Leather? Or is there a more appropriate product?

9. stevent

stevent Senior member

Horween recommends neatsfoot oil

10. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I have two pairs of Truflare wingtips, the burgundy and alpine grain. Awesome shoes. They fit TTS. The Atom used to be on the trueflare but recent makeups have been on the Barrie or the Tremont as on the Leffot pre-order list.

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I had occasion to stop in at Anatomica in Tokyo. I noticed this suede makeup which they call "navy blue" but the color seems to be deeper and have a touch of sea green when viewed in natural light. Modified last.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. stevent

stevent Senior member

So nice. What was price? $900ish?

13. sellran

sellran Senior member

FYI - I would much prefer an Alden color 8 belt (and cigar and ravello as well), but they are pretty much impossible to find in my experience. I therefore just bought one from Allen Edmonds. They are on sale and have free shipping. Mine arrived quickly and is very nice.

14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I'd agree.

I was fortunate however, I was able to get the last Alden Color 8 belt in my size about a month ago from Shoe Mart.

All the other places I tried did not have one in my size in stock, and they had no idea when Alden was cutting any more.

15. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

curious how the AE #8 looks in real life, got any pics you can post? I'm trying to match a belt to a couple pr of alden #8 that are definitely more on the eggplant end of the spectrum, but am finding most online vendors pics of #8 belts tend to be more burgundy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.