***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

2. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Any more thoughts on this?

3. wj4

wj4 Senior member

4. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

^Chromexel is pretty bullet proof in my experience. I have the Wolverines and in retrospect would probably go Indy if purchasing again. Not sure how much enthusiasm there is here for the Indy neoprene cork sole, but I think it would be an improvement over the Wolverine leather sole for winter wear and it is readily available from a variety of stores. Commando sole is nice, but likely harder to find. I've used Montana Pitch Blend on CXL to good effect. Seems as if you should be able to keep it pretty simple with 403s.

5. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Thanks! So you think a topy would be good idea along with the pitch blend?

6. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

I don't think you'd need the Topy with the 403 … I don't think it would do much. The advantage to a commando sole would be the added traction … maybe for snow or ice?, but I should mention that I'm from so cal, so I've no experience with real weather ;)

I've used Montana Pitch Blend as well … to "winterize" my 403s and it worked very well IMO,

7. zazaza

zazaza Senior member

awesome shots.

8. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I don't know how Boston winters are, but here's my two cents on Indy boots in Chicago winter... yes, but not for the really bad days. I would use one of the waterproofing agents on them, and would not attempt to topy the sole (they are neoprene - I don't think a copy can be applied anyway).

The neoprene sole is smooth though and has no teeth. For a winter boot, I'd want some teeth. I'd either go for one on a commando sole (check Leffot, Alden of Carmel, etc) or one with a full Vibram sole (check out the Kudu indy). If it'll also be a summer boot, I'd go with the commando sole.

Either way though, this would not be my boot of choice for traipsing through serious winters. Get some cheap LL Bean boots for that.

9. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Thanks for your thoughts. It's jsut very hard for me to wear something like those LL Bean boots. I guess I may have to, but I really find them ugly.

10. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I won't argue with you for a second on that - they are very ugly. But, at a certain point, any thought of style dies and you have to go for pure function. That point is usually mid-winter, when it's dark when you leave for work, dark when you get home, and there's 12" or more of snow on the ground.

11. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Go with the Alden Kudu 404 Indys.

12. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

Has anybody in this thread purchased/worn them? I'm getting a pair as a Christmas present to my dad, but I've yet to hear any real feedback from owners.

13. macjedi

macjedi Senior member

Thanks a lot! ;) … You guys are such enablers!! :) [​IMG]

I really liked the CXL PCT boot, but I just couldn't do another brown cxl boot. I said to hell with budgeting last month and got a #8 Chukka from TSM and a Cigar LWB from AoC. The tan WTB from J. Gilbert marks the end of my current spree :( … That being said, I think my next boot is gonna be shell … pct, nst, tanker or indy … pre-orders don't count right? [​IMG]

14. countrygent

countrygent Senior member

Just breaking in my pair of the same boots - love them!

15. meso

meso Senior member

I snagged a pair and like the perf toe, but then again I'm a fan of brogues, so it's not unsightly to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.