1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

I recently got some #8 shell Indy boots with commando sole from the shoe mart.

The commando sole is separating from the leather portion between the stitching and the edge.

Is this expected? Should I be concerned? Should I get some adhesive to attach them?

2. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Not expected. I think the commando sole is largely glued on, which is a negative with it. I'd probably take it to a local good cobbler, who should be able to glue it back for you nicely.

3. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Ok, Phew. That makes me a little bit more hopeful about our future.

The fortune cookies was what really what scared me. You have to be pretty insightful to know not only what the fortune of someone you never met will be, but also what cookie you need to put it in for them to get it.
    Thank you, Sir
    There IS a chance.

I'm 9C Barrie, 9D Aberdeen/Hampton

So the fact that the 8.5D Hampton is a little sloppy leaves hope that 8D Aberdeen will work for you.

Many say same size for Aberdeen and Hampton, which is true for me, however, I find the Aberdeen to be less roomy all around. (So 8.5 Aberdeen might be right for you if 8.5D Hampton fits, but is a little sloppy)

From what I understand, Aberdeen is very hit or miss for people, but probably my best fitting last. (At least that I've tried)

The real question is: Are you sick enough to roll the dice on this pair and hope for the best?

If you're lucky, they won't have your size, and you shall be spared.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  4. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

It certainly shouldn't be expected. I would likely return them on principal, like mediahound stated it should be easily remedied. However, the fact that someone would have to put money into a brand new pair of $700 shoes/boots is ridiculous.

5. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Maybe if he contacts Alden they will repair?

Since it is a manufacturing defect?

...or maybe they will just 'spit in his face'?

6. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Alden will repair it for free if they are new and you have proof of purchase, but you have to pay to ship it to them and it can take like 14 days. The reason I mentioned that I'd just take it to a local cobbler is that it would be quicker and more convenient for something simple like that. Probably he/she would charge you under $10 and do it in a few minutes on the spot.

7. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Agreed.

But if he wants it to be a matter of principle like someone suggested.

8. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

I called Alden and left a message. I have never received an email reply from them, so hopefully voice mail is more effective.

[edit]

That was fast! Karen with Alden called me back and said that she would like me to contact The Shoe Mart to see how they would like to handle the repair. The shoe mart has excellent customer service, so I have no doubt that it would go smoothly.

However, this seems like a relatively minor, simple repair that any cobbler can do. I think I will call TSM and discuss the matter and bring up using a local shop.

I would hate to be without my beloved boots for any amount of time.

9. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Not a huge fan of Chinese IP practices, but I would advise you to look at this week's Economist, discussing the power of Alibaba.

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

Great article

And not to digress from this thread but there is some heavy American media bias with some comments made here, part of the reason why I usually only read FT and economist these days

Edit: and economist talked about huawei and the other competitors and risks Maybe 6 months ago or so, was a pretty good read as well

11. blue collar

blue collar Senior member

Stunning. These have been my grail for the last year.

Green with envy. :slayer::slayer:

I love that you wear them with demin. Exactly how I would too.

12. Alpina

Alpina Senior member

I don't consider this a flaw and put it in the "to be expected" category. We ask a lot of our glue, and when you repeatedly flex it in heat, cold, dust and moisture, it tends to fail. Simple contact cement is what any cobbler would use, and I have touched up my commandos where they have separated a few times. SOP applies: clean and abrade both surfaces with emory board or sandpaper. Apply thin coat of rubber cement, and let dry until quite tacky. ( I maintain the gap with something like a screwdriver tip). Join surfaces with pressure. Done, handyman.

13. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

14. Alpina

Alpina Senior member

Previously I missed that they are relatively new, so I guess not to be expected. Still, in the big scheme of things, I wouldn't waste time money or the aggravation of taking it up with Alden or TSM.

15. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

I agree w/ Dbear - Coming straight from the factory or even a Shoemart first shouldn't have one of the defining traits of a boot falling off.

I'd return.

But given the "shortage" of shell, and assuming sizing is correct and a replacement is not readily available, I'd get the $10 cobbler job.

Getting more people to repeat a theory doesn't make it true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!

(although I'm guessing it is true)

16. Thor

Thor Senior member

17. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

Wait, who's got Ravello Chukkas for sale?:foo:

18. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

snap a bunch of high quality pics saying how stunning the shoe is...and then putting it up for sale...what a coincidence

2 people like this.
  19. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I agree it's probably the smart thing to do. Sending it back to Alden or returning them certainly wouldn't achieve much as Alden knows someone will buy them anyway. Whether or not they get their money from you or someone else, they know they will be getting it. I would still send them back anyway. I wonder if anyone from Alden reads these boards. I have see CJ post on the thread in their section, it would nice to at least have someone who would be willing to tend to Aldens most dedicated buyers.

20. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.