1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickCollins1916

MickCollins1916 Senior member

My lady's shoe habit rivals Imelda Marcos' so she doesn't complain much. However, I have scaled back the collection somewhat, and am looking to dwindle it down a bit more.

The shoes I have left fall into a few categories: ones I love that I wear the hell out of (#8 LWB, #8 Indy boots, for example), then ones that I like a lot but don't wear much. I've been paring down the pairs I don't get much use out of, and at some point, will continue doing so.

But for now, I will just enjoy today's ravello gunboats.
    [​IMG]

2. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Keeping my fingers crossed. My order shipped and shows the original price.

3. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

you should be good then. my order hasnt shipped yet, but the last three alden purchases I made through them (albeit utilizing the coupon codes that technically shouldnt have worked) all shipped at the price initially accepted.

which is unlike lands end, that canceled an order on some oakstreet shoes i got on discount and claimed it was due to inferior product that they wouldnt feel comfortable shipping [​IMG]

4. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

I would like to remind the forum that the issue of horse slaughter is up in Congress last week and in the coming weeks. If you want more shell, call your congressman and tell them to support horse slaughter. Of course, tell them to make sure it's humane.

5. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

The Chinese do the same thing with oil and gas reserves. They are willing to outbid all the other oil companies and overpay just to secure enough supply for their futures (and fast growing) consumption. They are also willing to buy riskier assets like those in politically unstable Africa, or those that are less economically feasible to produce. I guess they figure that they will be able to develop technology that will make it more feasible by the time they need it to be.

The Chinese oil companies, (there are about 3 or 4) are all nationalized. I think one or two might have a small private intrest, but no more than 10%.

6. felixkcma

felixkcma Member

Thanks guys! They are sourced by a friend. I am very lucky!

7. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

he got a few other coworkers to corroborate his story, so revenge will be served ice cold to them all. and yes :nodding:, I am in deep haha....

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  8. Alpina

Alpina Senior member

I don't want to get too far off thread, but since this came up, I'll pose a question I have put out to people for years:

After gunpowder and Confucianism, can you name any idea, invention, or product--mechanical, scientific, cultural or otherwise--that has come out of China? It's an increasingly industrious country of over a billion people and I know of one Chinese brand (Huawei, but the Western World has serious security concerns about their network hardware). It is for this reason that China will never surpass the U.S.--it's impossible to lead without original ideas.

OK--back to window shopping the Unionmade site...

9. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

I blame 'Jermyn Street' for this one. He is completely responsible!

...Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried these on Monday before buying them yesterday. They are a little darker shade of Cigar, which adds to their formality. Will wear these with blue suits. The only problem is, I don't wear suits anymore. The whole way to Citishoes I was telling myself "I Shouldn't be doing this" and "I really don't even want these shoes, I'll hardly ever wear them", but alas, I am powerless over my addiction.

It was nice chatting with Voltaire. He was very interested in how I found out about this exclusive make up (black edge trim versus the 90730's antique) from this thread. I told him he should check us out and share some pics.

10. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Fortune Cookies, Hello Kitty, The Chinese Calendar...

...We're Doomed!

11. mr chorizo

mr chorizo Senior member

whiskey bal day: been waiting for spring for a WHILE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  12. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

LOL. I know that feel bro.

13. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Those are excellent.

14. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

Is there a chance that an 8D cordovan full strap (684) could fit me? I found a "last pair" for a decent price that is available to me online. For reference, my current collection includes the following:

Barrie last in 8D (975) - excellent fit with dress socks
    Hampton last in 8.5D (9016) - requires tongue pad for improved fit

On that note, I'll soon be posting a pair 8D Officer's Indy once I'm able to take some good pics. In the Trubalance last, I surmise that a 7.5E would be a much better fit.

15. MoneyWellSpent

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. MoneyWellSpent

Ha! Even your list of 3 things is generous! Contrary to popular belief, fortune cookies are not Chinese. They originated in the United States, and most Chinese people arent' even familiar with them. Hello Kitty is Japanese... Yes I have a 3 year old daughter.

EDIT: Apparently they originated in Japan but were popularized in the United States by Japanese immigrants. Either way, they are far more American than Chinese.

17. MoneyWellSpent

[​IMG] Not much else needs to be said.

18. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

I'm convinced this song is about acquiring, polishing and wearing Whiskey Shell Cordovan -

He even gets caught wearing them out in the rain and worries about it.

What? You don't see the world through Alden-colored glasses like me?

19. Don L

Don L Senior member

Natty CXL Brixtons today

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. phorm

phorm Well-Known Member

You make me want to walk over to Citishoes on my lunch break. It's been done before, but I must resist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.