1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boibleu22

boibleu22 Well-Known Member

2. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

Very nice looking gunboats, ill have to steal that look.

3. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

ravello kind of day...........

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

Thank you very much sir. Is it theft that's the highest form of flattery? If so, by all means pilfer away.

5. Don L

Don L Senior member

6. MrDV

MrDV Senior member

These look amazing, my whiskey is darker than these, I wish I didn't have to buy all my Aldens online.

1 person likes this.
  7. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

ravello kind of day........... [​IMG] [/quote\] Great pic. And boots.

8. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Day Tripper or Kirkwood?

9. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

At Alden's present price point it's almost worth it to fly to either DC or San Fran and go through their stockrooms. Still thirsty for whiskey here in Minnesota.

10. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Beautiful day here today! Went with the J&M laces others suggested pages back. Purple laces on black shell LWB

[​IMG]

11. neutrino

neutrino Senior member

J&M site doesn't seem to have them in stock, I might go for those from 1901...

[edit] oh, they're in stock but shipping is 8.95, scratch that...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  12. Alpina

Alpina Senior member

Thanks, everyone, for all the fitting testimony. For another point of reference, here is my humble lineup:

9C:
    975x Shell longwings
    Day Tripper

9D:
    Chamois longwing (Leffot)

9.5D:
    Leydon unlined suede chukka (Madison Ave)

9.5E:
    Leydon lined suede blucher (on order from NRO--good to hear of the recent good experiences with them)

• I'll use as a reference my best-fitting shoe, the 9D chamois longwing--consistently comfortable with thin to normal socks.
    • The 9C shell longwing is probably more comfortable, but even in a narrower width, it seems roomier, but not too much so. Roomy, but no heel slip or jammed toes.
    • The Leydon 9.5D unlined chukka started off snug across the vamp, but quickly accommodated my foot for that slipper-like feel. It was always wide enough, but I would call they Leydon a low-volume last.
    • Ordered the Leydon lined suede blucher in a E figuring I might wear it with a normal sock in cooler seasons. Plus, I wanted a looser, no-argument fit for this one.
    • Lastly, the Day Tripper. Leffot suggested I order my Barrie size, and this was before I got their non-shell longwing. It fits like a dress shoe should, which means by the end of the day, or after a carbo-bomb, it feels good to take them off. Nothing ever hurts, though. Ideally, I might have gotten the 9D.

13. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

I had no problem ordering both an 11 C and 11.5 C from the shoe mart (they had to check with Alden directly, who had them in stock and dropped shipped them to me).

I am an 11.5D normally, and the 11D of the Barrie Shell LWB just feels loose on my foot. The 11C felt great initially, but after a day's wear (and I'm guessing the associated foot swelling), my middle toe started to nudge the end of the shoe ever so slightly when taking long, quick strides that result in a lot of bend in the ball of my foot. Unfortunately I didn't figure this out until I wore them outside.

Those I'm currently trying to sell in my signature while I wait for the 11.5C to arrive.

I did learn to test shoes in the evening after a long day rather than in the morning.

14. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Senior member

I don't even like loafers but those are really nice. Sorry man.

15. shaunw

shaunw Senior member

Kirkwood

16. poena

poena Senior member

what are my options if the creasing in my shell boots are now bothering me.
    For some reason it is kind of digging into my foot and causing a little bit of pain.
    Totally fine in my right foot just the left one is having this issue.

17. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

How long have you had them? How much have they been worn? Did you buy them new?

Here is an interesting discussion you might want to read, which suggests everything from 'walk it off' to an issue with fitment or construction.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/231299/shoe-crease-causing-pain

18. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Damn those are fine looking boots. I've seen plenty of #8 and cigar cap toes, but not this.

19. Don L

Don L Senior member

I'm so bummed I missed out on those...

20. El Argentino

El Argentino Senior member

These are glorious in every sense of the word. Fabulous choice. I love how the edgetrim has been busted up a bit through wear. NIce.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.