***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wigglr

wigglr Senior member

Woops! I am just making these difficult here.

2. velomane

velomane Senior member

Funny, when I receive a new pair of cordovan shoes, I whisper to them: "Me love you long time" and I mean it, too!

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Love the Aberdeen last. Have this in the boot version and the color is incredible. The NST took some getting used to.

4. stevent

stevent Senior member

My ravello seconds have smaller lines as well

Most countries in Europe and honestly it should be this way. People are way too overworked.

5. smdbitchh

smdbitchh Well-Known Member

New to the forum. Came across 3 pairs of Alden shoes in a consignment store down the street and had a few questions.

They were all size 9.5 c/e as listed on the inside of shoe but they all had strange numbers imprinted on the bottoms "10" and "11" as well as some letters which were no longer legible..anyone seen this before?

[​IMG]

didn't get very good pictures but all 3 pairs seemed to be shell cordovan. any ideas what the color on the right side shoe is? cigar? left color8? Also the shoe on the right has a more rounded toe area can anyone identify what last that is? fit was more narrow though
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks for any help

6. dalek

dalek New Member

This dealer issue is for ALL of the Alden dealers, as far as I can tell. When I checked last month about what fall makeups the Alden DC store was getting in, they still hadn't got confirmation from the factory that their production of the shoes had started, meaning they won't be ready anywhere near the initial September timeframe. And this is a factory store!

My experience with Alden is that they'll get it done, just don't expect to hear much from them and don't expect a quick turnaround. I was pleasantly surprised at work today when my 405s came back (welt was coming undone on both shoes), since I hadn't heard a peep from the factory. I assumed that I'd get a tracking number emailed or a call or something. But, to Alden's credit, the turnaround was three weeks, well within the quoted month timeframe. Now, I wish the welts hadn't come undone within a couple months of ownership, but at least they took care of it at no charge.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

No thoughts?

8. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

Actually it's not at all uncommon even nowadays for factories to shut down like that.
    Companies update the lines, install new tooling, perform maintenance etc.
    Also likely more efficient if workers take their vacation at the same time.

9. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

I don't know about the numbers. It looks as though you have a cigar, #8 and black.

10. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

^ they have been resoled, the original soles say Alden on them. Not necessarily a problem, if the cobbler did a decent job. The brown pair appear to be cigar cap- toe bluchers on the plaza last ( nice find!).

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

11. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

People who care about their employees, and themselves enough to realize that money isn't everything. I'd much rather spend time with my wife and kids than know I have an extra few thousand dollars in the bank, and somewhere most people in our country have lost that. I'm glad they shut down for the two weeks, and wished it would be longer for their workers' sakes, and gladly will pay and wait for delays to know they treat their workers as humans and not money making machines.

12. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

I've probably said this before, but blind eyes and hooks is a win. Especially on cap and perf cap toes. Makes a boot slide from informal to formal seamlessly.

13. Roguls

Roguls Senior member

Truth. Time is infinitely more precious than money.

14. smdbitchh

smdbitchh Well-Known Member

they all seemed to be in great condition. they were all the same size, fit me well, and all appeared to be cordovan. shop has them each listed for $250. i know they retail for around $600, but would you still consider it a good deal? are any of these harder to find than the others? thanks

15. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

While I agree, I have a hunch their scheduled down-time is juts as much for Alden's benefit as it is the workers. I don't know how much vacation time an Alden worker gets, I would bet the majority of the vacation time an average Alden worker takes is in this two-week timeframe. This way you don't have random people leaving for 1-2 week stretches and shutting down certain parts of the line.

I really don't mind the two-week summer shutdown. I do with wish they'd get out of the 50s with their communication though.

Then again, I guess that's part of their "charm."

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.