***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Alden for Unionmade San Francisco [​IMG]
    Nice job Jason! Edit: how about a shot of the rear of the shoe, it's hard to tell what's going on there.

2. BigRedBike

BigRedBike Active Member

Does anyone know if the Leschi Picnic Saddle Oxford in black/navy are available in stores? Preferably in NYC?

I am absolutely in love with these shoes.

I am a poor graduate student and I just discovered Alden. I purchased the Chrome Indy Boot and Suede Chukka 2 weeks ago. Besides my Ferragamo's that I purchased about 6 years ago, I own no shoes more than $50. I really shouldn't buy these shoes, but I just got my tax return...arrg. Maybe I'll get a more versatile black shoe instead.

http://www.blackbirdballard.com/Alde...ord_16311.html

By the way, is anyone else obsessed with achieving patina on their Alden's? I like older/worn Alden's more than I do new ones! I almost wonder if it might make more sense to just start shopping used shoes and save myself some cash.

3. chenc

chenc Senior member

Never stated it affects my ability to purchase and everything is relative. Maybe your perspective in life is different than mines. Just thought I make a comment about slight price increases across the brand. I think now I will rather make my purchase through Carmel.
    Why? AOC doesn't even allow return if the shoe is creased. I don't understand how one can determine the fit of a pair of shoes without walking around properly. I further don't understand how one can walk around properly without creasing the shell. But, perhaps your perspective is different from mine. For my wide feet (3E on Hampton cap toe bal), AOC has nothing to offer me. [​IMG]

4. mg428

mg428 Senior member

Which Alden boots would be better for abuse? Classic 405 Indy or Winn Perry's Little Tanks? Say, when used in hiking or similar activities? Please consider worst whether and ground conditions, such as heavy rain/snow and mud etc.? http://winnperry.com/updates/alden-winn-perry-rd2/ Soles: Winn Perry's plantation sole would perform better and slip less than neoprene sole, right? Upper: Winn Perry's heavily oiled tobacco reverse chamois leather vs. 405's full grain waxhide leather from Horween? Lining: Winn Perry's full leather lining vs. 405's heavy, 100% cotton duck lining? Maintenance: Although I am not considering babying them, Winn Perry's boots give me the impression that if ever subject to very bad conditions, they will become dirty to an extent that they will be unrecognizable. I would not want that. On the other hand, when you see the below photo of 405, which seems to have been used without any maintenance under every condition, you would easily say that it is 405, but used under heavy conditions. I hope I could explain myself very well. Also, if I ever decide to maintain Little Tanks, what am I going to do on them? Please note that I already have LSH's cordovan Indy, LSH's Ultimate Indy and Epaulet's black & tan Indy. I am not considering using the first two in bad conditions. Perhaps I may use Epaulet's black & tan Indy, which has an upper made of Horween's waterproof Pegasus leather. But I would not prefer that. Besides it has a neoprene sole and waterproof leather does not necessarily mean that the boots's construction is also waterproof. I do not have any experience with plantation sole by the way. PS. These are, at least for the time being, is out of question: http://youhavebrokentheinternet.blog...nch-boots.html
    [​IMG]

5. AR_Six

AR_Six "Sookie!"

I would just reconsider the non-use of the ultimate indy in bad conditions and beat the absolute hell out of them in all conditions. It'll only improve them with time. That being said, you probably have enough indy's, so grab the tanks. IMHO.

6. Dexter_

Dexter_ Senior member

^Agreed. Use the ultimate or the black indy since you already have it. If you are intent in getting a new pair, maybe the ultimate jumper from LS in 5-6 months. For instant gratification though either one would work. Since you seem to like the Indy boot, get the regular version or the stock kudu to round out your collection.

7. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

What is the difference between the Hampton and Leydon lasts?
    Which do peeps prefer?

8. Sui Generis

Sui Generis Well-Known Member

Anyone ever heard of the "Arch Street" last?

I just picked up a pair of NOS tan wingtips on the Arch Street last, both because they looked good AND out of curiosity, as I've never heard of that last. Google searches don't yield much info.

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Senior member

[​IMG]
    cigar ptb

10. rick

rick Senior member

What is the difference between the Hampton and Leydon lasts?
    Which do peeps prefer?

i like hampton better fits me more true to size, leydon more narrow in the toe box.

11. rick

rick Senior member

[​IMG]
    cigar ptb

nice[​IMG]

12. jet

jet Persian Bro

I thought that was you rick as I scrolled down.

13. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

i like hampton better fits me more true to size, leydon more narrow in the toe box.

+1 for me as well.

14. interlockingny

interlockingny Senior member

I thought that was you rick as I scrolled down.

Maybe that is Rick's twin [​IMG]

15. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

Has anybody purchased the LS Hampton snuff suede wingtips?
    Thoughts?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.