***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Keep in mind that I'm a noob -- I don't own NSTs, for example, but hope to soon -- so I'd love to hear other opinions.

Also, I didn't consider bicycle toes because they are uncommon and also disgusting IMO.

2. deathntaxes

deathntaxes Member

This is the right approach to thinking about shoe trees. The wood in the shoe trees do not absorb that much moisture -- some higher-end shoe trees are even lacquered. Their main purpose is to keep the shoe's shape. And you want to do this while the leather is still warm from wearing.

In practice, you should be rotating your shoes in such a way that the moisture would have had plenty of time to evaporate anyway. So the effect of leaving the shoe to dry for some time before putting in the shoe trees is negligible.

3. Profligate47

Profligate47 Senior member

Thank you both. I have been wearing Aldens for many years. To me, they are more for dress than for casual wear, esp in the darker colors. I would admit that the tassels have always been my favorite model...

4. Profligate47

Profligate47 Senior member

Today Color 8 LHS, Alden for BB:

[​IMG]

5. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Nice wingtips--bought them in black a few months ago. The seamless back was the selling point for me.
    Bought them in same size as my Aberdeen lasted shoes (no Plaza shoes, yet)--fit slightly bigger all over, but not enough to warrant sizing differently I don't believe.

6. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Nice. Wearing those (the shoes) today as well.

7. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Sorry for a boring sizing question, but do most tend to wear the same size in LHS (van) as they do in Barrie? I know for LHS, some go down a size in width from Barrie.

8. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Affiliate Vendor

Sad, when the city needs to put this on busy cross walks so people texting (or taking pictures of their #4 Atoms) don't get hit by cars...
    [​IMG]
    Safer shot:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012

9. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Barrie 9D
    Van 9C

10. RyanAnderson

RyanAnderson Senior member

Been reading this thread a while and am on the verge of making a purchase, but can't decide what shoe to get. I was hoping for some recommendations based on what I own already.

Currently have black AE Park Avenues, brown Tricker's shortwings with Dainite soles and black C&J for BB monks.

Want to get a pair that will go well in a stricter business casual office (generally dark wool pants, standard shirts and occasional sport coats) as well as casual attire (jeans). Was initially leaning toward a brown pair of bluchers (specifically ravello PTBs) but now reconsidering. Open to black or brown, shoes or boots - just not looking for any split toe/NST or anything that will be too redundant with what I have given the small collection.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

11. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Would LHS be too casual?

12. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Senior member

Hey Ryan, welcome. I know it's like recommending Sgt. Pepper's to a music lover but I would go with the color 8 longwing. It's not black or brown, it's just this universal color that takes more effort to find a situation in which it won't work than one in which it will. You really can't make a poor decision though; you'll be happy with any Alden you get. Best of luck.

13. RyanAnderson

RyanAnderson Senior member

Not too casual per se but leaning away from them because I'm not sure how much I'd wear them with cold weather approaching (may make a purchase again in the spring and consider them more seriously then).

14. stevent

stevent Senior member

Just caved and reserved the LS #8 jumpers. Bit disappointed they didn't order E / it's not black but it's a boot I've been wanting for a long time

15. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

^ why not just get the j crew #8 punched captoe? really similar (aside from barrie vs tb) but such an awesome boot!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.