***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

That does it - off to Leffot to buy Saphir cordovan cream. Between Alden cigars and Ralph Lauren Marlows, brown will get a lot of use.

2. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

I haven't worn the Cigar Indy yet but I'll figure something out. I only go to the office a couple times a week so I really have too many shoes for my own good :)

Thanks.

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

The barrie is one of my favorites; the leydon one of my least favorites.

Cigar LWBs are wonderful. Nice choice.

4. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Nice choice, let's see some pics.

5. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Senior member

What is your true size?

6. lagsun

lagsun Senior member

Probably 8.5D. I started my Alden journey thinking I was a true 9D which explains the varying sizes. My most recent acquisitions have been 8D in Barrie and Trubalance and 8.5D on Grant.

7. jt2gt

jt2gt Senior member

Quick review...anyone even thinking of picking up a little tub of Saphir Reno, do it now. Been hitting everything with a dab of this stuff (shell, leather, my watch strap) and it is working wonders. If the creases in your shell are dry and grey, Saphir with get it back to a nice shell shine. I've used venetian too and the Saphir is even better IMO. I'll have to throw up some pics when I get a chance. JT

8. sevenfoldtieguy

I have saphir reno and all the colors saphir offers in shell cordovan cream. Great products.

I would suggest using reno on whiskey shell as opposed to the neutral shell cordovan cream. The latter can slightly darken the whiskey if you are not careful (unless that is the desired result).

9. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

I know these have been seen before, but I thought I would share some photos nonetheless. I am making my way across Europe and am now in Paris. I stopped by the shop French Trotters today. I have to say this is one of the best shops I have ever been in. They carry more streetwear than anything, but they have a fantastically edited collection and plenty to choose from.

Much to my pleasure they also had a decent selection of Alden shoes in both E and D widths. They had some great looking black shell Indy boots, but I ended up picking up this pair. They are a snuff suede longwing on the barrie last, with eyelets, antique edgetrim and a double waterlock leather sole. So, they are basically the JCrew version from what I can tell, but they come in the E width which I need and JCrew does not offer.

Here are some shots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I stopped by Anatomica. The customer service is superb. As most know, they focus primarily on the modified last and I just cannot make it work for me. In any case, it was certainly worth the visit.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Some Saphir action this morning [​IMG]

11. Kashiwa

Kashiwa Senior member

@Johnnyrich7, nice pickup. I have the same pair on the way, from J crew via a forum member. Although the pic of the sole on the J Crew page shows a standard double leather sole, the J Crew version is, from what I understand, also on the waterlock sole. Indeed, if you check the description, it does say "oiled" leather sole.

12. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Sunday Morning Saphir schedule:
    Cigar captoes
    Cigar PTBs on crepe
    RL shortwings
    Will post pics

13. Man with Apple

Man with Apple Senior member

Good catch. You are right, the page does show that, but the description is different. JCrew really needs to get their stuff together with their photos and descriptions. I think you will love the shoes. I think they are quickly turning into one of my favorites.

14. sevenfoldtieguy

I have found that retailers, for better or worse, use the following terms interchangeably: waterlock/waterloc, oiled, flex. Or they use combinations of them ...

15. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

One more NRO update: They charged my credit card even though they said the shoes were at least 16 weeks from shipment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.