• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm torn between the frans boone cigar plain toe models.
On the one hand, I love the all day comfort and kick-around nature of the crepe soles.
On the other hand, I love the variegated antique edgetrim of the leather soles.
Crepe sole, bad lighting:

Leather sole:

You already have a cigar longwing on a leather sole, right? The cigar PTB on crepe seems to be the only cordovan model that actually looks really good on crepe - it's pretty popular (made by three retailers). I would say get it for variety's sake. You can always switch out the crepe for leather or dainite later. I was surprised by how much I wore my cigar PTBs on crepe in the spring and summer. I'll wear it less now that it is boot season but it is a great makeup.

Last edited:

Morgan

Reaction score

You already have a cigar longwing on a leather sole, right? The cigar PTB on crepe seems to be the only cordovan model that actually looks really good on crepe - it's pretty popular (made by three retailers). I would say get it for variety's sake. You can always switch out the crepe for leather or dainite later. I was surprised by how much I wore my cigar PTBs on crepe in the spring and summer. I'll wear it less now that it is boot season but it is a great makeup.

Yeah, I do have the cigar LWB, and the edge trim was a selling point. I know Unionmade does a similar crepe sole model - who's the third?

mcbrown

Reaction score

I'm torn between the frans boone cigar plain toe models. On the one hand, I love the all day comfort and kick-around nature of the crepe soles. On the other hand, I love the variegated antique edgetrim of the leather soles.
Depends on planned usage. The leather sole is almost certainly more attractive, and makes the shoe more versatile in terms of outfit coordination. But that is true of any sole vs. the crepe, and yet people continue to buy crepe (including myself)... obviously there is more to the question of "what shoe to buy" than how it looks. I have ravello longwings on crepe soles, and while on the one hand I sometimes wish they were on leather soles so I'd feel comfortable wearing them to the office, on the other hand I'm glad to have a handsome walking shoe for really pounding pavement. Even if the crepe sole is limiting, I probably wear them more for having the crepe sole than I would if they were leather-soled. This is because when I want crepe I have exactly two options at the moment, and when I want a leather-soled shoe I have about 15 options.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I do have the cigar LWB, and the edge trim was a selling point. I know Unionmade does a similar crepe sole model - who's the third?

Winn Perry did them as well - I bought their version from a poster here. Unlike the Unionmade and Frans Boone models, the Winn Perry model doesn't have eyelets

herrmj

Reaction score
I'm torn between the frans boone cigar plain toe models.
On the one hand, I love the all day comfort and kick-around nature of the crepe soles.
On the other hand, I love the variegated antique edgetrim of the leather soles.
Crepe sole, bad lighting:

Leather sole:
Leather sole for versatility.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Winn Perry did one.
wpptb1.jpg

mexicutioner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm pretty pleased with my crepe sole cigar ptb's (unionmade beales). i guess it depends on what you want it for. do you want to wear the shoes with khakis and suits? leather sole. khakis and jeans? crepe sole. for my needs, cigar on crepe is perfect.

the crepe vs leather issue is one of those things that seems like a big deal when you're on the internet, but once you have em on you don't really notice.

Beale_Cordovan_5_Eye_Dover_in_Cigar_0.jpg

also: the crepe sole is really comfy.

Last edited:

Alcibiades

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually like all of Frans Boone's plain toe models on crepe:

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

That's what I like to see! People baby their shoes too much--beat them up, they are boots after all!
I find that a trip to the muddy dog park is a great way to get some paw scratches and patina.

I've decided that I am going to try and beat the sh!t out of these Tankers this year. My plan is to wear them everyday that I do not need to wear dress shoes.

zazaza

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've decided that I am going to try and beat the sh!t out of these Tankers this year. My plan is to wear them everyday that I do not need to wear dress shoes.

I wholeheartedly recommend this (there's too much babying of shell in the world)
I've done exactly that with my tankers and love them even more.
the only thing i'd say you should look out for is that the stitching around the toe can start to fray if you are really rough on them.

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wholeheartedly recommend this (there's too much babying of shell in the world)
I've done exactly that with my tankers and love them even more.
the only thing i'd say you should look out for is that the stitching around the toe can start to fray if you are really rough on them.

Who's carrying tankers these days? Is citishoes it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads