1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrankCowperwood

FrankCowperwood Senior member

You should be the same size in the Trubalance and Barrie. Long wings are classic, and whether they would be ideal for a wedding or interview really all depends on you and on the circumstances. You can be sure #8 LWBs have been worn to both, and probably with pin stripes. There are gentlemen here who can offer more advice on pairing #8 with suits than I can. That being said, the style, with its heft and broguing, is on the less formal side as you mention. They are going to go very well with denim and chinos. And a black calf cap toe from AE is probably a good shoe to have in your wardrobe. Take care of it and you'll always have a conservative shoe when you need it. AE does go on sale too, so keep your eye out for that. You can sign up for emails from AE themselves, and Sherman Brothers offers sale prices too. And speaking of, I definitely recommend visiting Sherman Brothers. It is a classy operation and, as I recall from the last time I was in the store, the Aldens had prices on the soles that were lower than those listed online. I think you may get a little bit of a discount for shopping in store (and no worries about sales tax when shopping in Pa., of course). The Philly guys on this thread may be able to confirm this.

2. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Frank is correct about PA sales tax. There isn't any on clothes typically, but it depends. Like there is tax on cleats or golf shoes because they are considered non-essentials, but no tax on $700 dress shoes because they are considered very essential. [​IMG]

3. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I have a question about the Plaza last, do most go up .5 in length and width or only length? My 8D Barrie boots fit well and I could not fit into an 8D Grant as it was way too tight. I am unsure as to whether I would be an 8.5D or 8.5E on the Plaza...

4. jdpirtl22

jdpirtl22 Well-Known Member

I go 1/2 size down in barrie. grant and plaza run true to size

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  5. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Who makes the shell on those Ralph Lauren Marlow SWB?

6. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

Horween.

7. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

Frank is right about Sherman Bros. and PA shopping. I live 5 minutes from Sherman Bros. and they always have their shoes cheaper in store than online. On top of that every Christmas they have an Alden trunk show sale. Which is usually 15% off their in store prices.

8. mikeharo

mikeharo Senior member

+1 for Sherman Brothers - great service, nice guys

9. sazon

sazon Senior member

Thank you. Unfortunately I don't know where they are from. They were a gift.

10. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Buying cordovan is the quickest conduit from interest to obsession known and it ain't cheap nor does it seem to be getting cheaper. There are many here who want nothing more than pull you down with them into their tortured whirlpool of rare colors an contrasting edge trim .Tread very carefully here danger lurks

3 people like this.
  11. BeSpiffington

BeSpiffington Senior member

englade321, well stated sir!

12. jmemt

jmemt Active Member

I am. Just sent you a PM.

13. IRONHORSE

IRONHORSE Well-Known Member

Thank You! Violet1951..

14. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Great day for the Alden for BB color 8 medallion cap toe bluchers... [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. borderline

borderline Senior member

Thanks!

I'm fairly sure it's Barrie. What is interesting is that I am usually a 10D in Barrie but these are 9.5D and they are slightly snug but still super comfortable.

16. ThArtOfWardrobe

ThArtOfWardrobe Senior member

Thank you.

I don't own any light Aldens and am considering either a non-shell like the 966 or waiting to get on a ravello boot pre-order, which I know is highly unlikely.

I've never been into lighter shell but have read a few posts on here from guys who didn't understand all the hype until they owned a pair. Figured now would be the time to try to get a pair given all the rumors about shortages. And by now I mean in the next year or two.

With bright eyes and a substantial dose of realism...does anyone have any leads on a ravello pre-order? Would really love to get a captoe boot like the Unionmade Kirkwood or Day Tripper but I know this is nearly impossible.

17. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

We all live on:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

Yeah, it might have helped to read the entire thing. Thanks.

19. david3558

david3558 Senior member

Winterbourne, as a soon-to-be-not-student - I've done the whole job search, interview, and internship gig. I saw that you wanted to wear a pin stripe suit with the LWBs but I'd advise against wearing a pin stripe suit to an interview. Find more subtle ways to stand out - but it surely depends on the industry and type of job. Finance and accounting, you gotta keep it boring man - hate to break it to you. Being in marketing, I've been able to add some nice details but I avoid going overboard. Usually I'll do a bolder tie - something like a brighter, powerful purple or a rich dark red/burgundy. Usually I'll pair that with a discreet tie clip to keep the ensemble together. You can't go wrong with a navy or charcoal suit, solid of course. David

20. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.